Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS.NET LOUNGE > Off Topic!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 08:52 PM
I am not regret.

GcDiaz is a jewel in the roughGcDiaz is a jewel in the roughGcDiaz is a jewel in the roughGcDiaz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to GcDiaz
Default New SUV help

We're looking to upgrade our family fleet, trade the paid off 2006 Matrix for one of the following:

Nissan Rogue
Honda CRV
Subaru Forrester

AWD is a must, MPG more important than HP. Any thoughts?

To have nightmares, one must first dream. Early-life dreams become Late-life nightmares when there's no time left to remedy the outcome of self-induced ignorance or genetic inability to think and act.
-DPM
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Special Member

geoff94alty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to geoff94alty

I love my foz. Best vehicle I've ever had in the snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyKoH View Post
Get two mufflers, then you will have carbon dioxide instead of carbon monoxide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
theyre so open minded - their brains fell out.
can i use that here?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-13-2014, 02:07 AM
Superadmin to the rescue!

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

some other options you may like:

Mazda CX-5
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Old 09-13-2014, 11:18 AM
I am not regret.

GcDiaz is a jewel in the roughGcDiaz is a jewel in the roughGcDiaz is a jewel in the roughGcDiaz is a jewel in the rough

It's been narrowed down to the three in the OP. Mpg and HP but also cargo space. But all we have to go on are Web reviews. Safe bet that a forum full of auto enthusiasts will provide some first hand testimony.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:42 PM

flarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of light

Hot Cars For Under $30,000 - Motor Trend

The Rouge made this list
Old 09-13-2014, 06:48 PM

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GcDiaz View Post
It's been narrowed down to the three in the OP. Mpg and HP but also cargo space. But all we have to go on are Web reviews. Safe bet that a forum full of auto enthusiasts will provide some first hand testimony.
Out of those 3, i would go with the cr-v. They are bullet proof and known for their reliability. There is a cr-v refresh coming in 2015, so depending on timing, you can either get a good deal on a 2014 or a freshened 2015 model.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:34 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

I vote for CR-V or Forrester but I don't think the Forrester has all that great of mileage.
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Honda Sucks

wild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nice

I'd never own another Honda.....But I do like the CRV.....Honda sucks
04 Honda Oddy (POS)-GONE!!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Honda Sucks

wild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nice

Of the three..I'd go Sub....

I'd take a look at the Rav 4 as well. I know several people that have them and have never had an issue with 130K +
Old 09-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sassan

^plz share about the Honda issues....
Old 09-14-2014, 11:05 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

I seem to remember his Honda had plenty of transmission problems along with really crappy gas mileage.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 PM
The goggles do nothing

RIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really nice
Garage

We bought a new 2012 CR-V in September 2012 for the wife. It's a very decent car - although for me personally I think it's under-powered (2.4L 185 HP - I think). Even with 160,000 on the Altima I prefer to drive it any day over the CR-V. For her it's perfect though.

Other than that it's very well equipped (EX). Even the base model (LX) comes with a lot of standard features (blue-tooth & back up camera). We just took it on a road trip over Labor Day weekend to Carolina and it was good- no problems. But you would expect that with a new vehicle.

Highway mileage is very decent in the latest gen CR-V over 30 mpg (calc - not computer).

One of the first things I looked at was the VIN when we were looking. I was a little freaked out about the "3" at the beginning of the VIN (Assembly = Mexico). For the color and trim the wife wanted Mexico was the only option for assembly for the CR-V's they had here.

I was worried - but so far it has been fine. I also read (a while ago - so take my word for it - or not) that Mexico assembly models get Japan- assembled motors FWIW. Canton, OH models get US assembled motors.

We (the wife) have owned two Honda's, consecutively. a 2007 Civic bought new, assembled in Canton, OH, and the CR-V. The Civic had a few recalls, and warranty issues, as has the CR-V, but I NEVER had to fight or ague with the dealer to take care of any issues.

The CR-V comes with 0W20 from the factory. There is a lot of debate on the webzzz on whether it's actually synthetic or not (I use synthetic now).

One other HUGE win for me personally is that it has gears, NO CVT.

I have no desire to own a Honda, but the wife is a Honda girl, and that's fine with me (happy wife happy life).

Good luck bro...
Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 PM
You Big Dummy!

The cool thing about buying a car built in Mexico is that it comes standard with hidden compartments to smuggle drugs.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:48 PM
I am not regret.

I take it actual gears > CVT etc? Less complications, lesser repair costs?

Thanks for the responses, keep em coming!
Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 AM

I know i am in the minority, but i prefer CVT. Best MPG when needed, most power when needed. Best of both worlds.

But there are many documented cases of CVT's blowing up and etc. So it's a tough choice for it.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 AM
I am not regret.

"blowing up" is definitely not in the list of features we want. This will be the baby's chief mode of transport, it needs to go where we tell it and stop when we get there.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM
The goggles do nothing

RIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really nice
Garage

As much as I am a CVT hater - for me it's just more of personal preference with what I like to drive. Although a lot of the early generation CVT's had problems, as with any relatively new [mass-produced] technology they are getting more and more reliably built.

Also to consider (opinion based, not necessarily fact based) is what you plan on doing with it. Looking at what you said in the OP I think you're fine with what ever transmission type.

Example: Friend of mine recently purchased a new Outback. CVT with paddles (select-able ratios). Considering that he will be doing a fair amount of towing with it I would be more comfortable towing anything with conventional gears.

We all know that any transmission is susceptible to breakdown, and has as much chance of being reliable as the next. Crapshoot.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:11 PM

flarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of light

With the 3 choices from the OP, if you look at it this way.... Say you were trying to get to some camp site in the Catskills or Adirondacks that required some light off reading and a small stream crossing to get to. I would feel more comfortable in the Outback making it across the stream. The Outback would probably have the far better AWD system. If you don't want something so vanilla, the Rouge is probably the most stylish
Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Honda Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassan View Post
^plz share about the Honda issues....

Bought new
9-11 mpg all of the time
thousands in repairs from 0-50K miles (Bought extended warranty paid for itself 5 fold) at least!!
Dealer never knew what was covered under Honda Care- Would take van in, they would tell me the issue..I tell them it is covered under Honda Care, they would tell no it isn't. I pay them and tell them Ill be back this afternoon to get my money back.
Go home, call Honda care, they call dealer and tell them parts and labor are covered....I go back for my money and apology ......EVERY FOCKIN TIME!!!!
Rust all over the place

Wind and road noise so bad you could not converse in the van.....

Biggest POS I ever owned!!!

Night and Day with the Nissan Quest....it's like riding in a Vacuum
Old 09-18-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GcDiaz View Post
"blowing up" is definitely not in the list of features we want. This will be the baby's chief mode of transport, it needs to go where we tell it and stop when we get there.
The problem has been torque. Some of the earlier CVT's couldn't handle big torque, but nissan has proved that stereotype wrong over time.

I agree with flare, the rogue is the best looking of the bunch. But i personally would still pick the cr-v over it.