Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS.NET LOUNGE > Off Topic!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM

dsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura about
Default Mini DV video to Laptop

So I'm cleaning out my garage this weekend and I found my old mini DV camcorder. There are a bunch of videos I would like to transfer to my laptop.

Problem is that the camcorder has a 4-pin IEEE 1394/firewire output and my laptop does not have the port. I've been searching the net this morning and there is no USB to firewire converter. I can't buy an external card because I don't think my laptop has expansion slots.

Someone had mentioned this:

Studio MovieBox HD

But I'm not sure if that will work and I really don't NEED to edit the videos. I just want it on my computer so that I have the files.

Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM

dsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura about

I tried something like this in the past:

USB-Live2 USB Video Capture Device - Walmart.com

The problem is that it does play the videos on the computer but I wasn't able to 'record' the videos on the computer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Low-Hanging Fruit

PsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nice
Garage

Just get a cheap USB video capture dongle and connect it to the Camera's AV out. It will be slow (you have to let the video play completely) but it will work.

Edit: That one on your link will work, but you need a program to actually record the video. I bet you used a program to just play the video.

SQUASHING ALL TEH FUNNEY!
Quote:
SIR NUPE A LOT
Your sig name should read "Ninja Edit Extraordinaire"
Quote:
AngryBot
Well when two admins fall deeply in love.....they can't physically have children so they adopt one and that's how a moderator is made.
Quote:
Griff
Hugs and no kisses (cause that is how I roll)
Quote:
Griff
Even my dogs were starting to feel sorry for Vick in the 4th quarter for the abuse he was taking.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sassan

I am having the same issue with some old camcorder tapes I have......and I am thinking of saying screw it and paying someone, because the process is slow.

My dad has over 1000+ cassettes of classical music that NO ONE has. They need to be converted, but my god is that gonna take forever.

Let me know what you come up with.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Low-Hanging Fruit

PsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nice
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassan View Post
I am having the same issue with some old camcorder tapes I have......and I am thinking of saying screw it and paying someone, because the process is slow.

My dad has over 1000+ cassettes of classical music that NO ONE has. They need to be converted, but my god is that gonna take forever.

Let me know what you come up with.
In your case, you can convert them to DVD really easy. Just put the VHS tape and a blank DVD in, press the record button, and go do something else.

Magnavox DVD Recorder/VCR Combo - Walmart.com
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyKoH View Post
Edit: That one on your link will work, but you need a program to actually record the video. I bet you used a program to just play the video.
I used the one it came with which was supposed to record the video. But for some reason it didn't work so I returned it to best buy. Maybe it was the old computer I was using but I might just try it again. I just want the videos on computer so that i don't lose them via tape.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

Coscto can transfer all of your video tapes to DVDs, and they're pretty cheap too.
Probably less than you spent on the equipment you'll only use once.

Costco 1-Hour Photo: Home Videos, Film and Slides to DVD - FAQ/Support
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
2-Time BCS National Champ

LSUtigerME has a spectacular aura aboutLSUtigerME has a spectacular aura about

I've been doing the same thing over the holidays, but with VHS tapes. I used an "Elgato Video Capture" USB adapter (on phone, no link). It seems to work pretty well, cost me $70. It's fairly straightforward.

You can't use a FireWire/USB adapter? Maybe I don't understand, but a quick search showed a ton of results for that. If you can get the camcorder to show up, even windows movie maker can "capture" the video for you (and most editing programs).
Old 01-03-2013, 04:20 PM

Xtrema has a spectacular aura aboutXtrema has a spectacular aura about

If you have an ExpressCard slot.....

2 Port ExpressCard 1394a FireWire Laptop Adapter Card: Amazon.ca: Electronics
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigerME View Post
You can't use a FireWire/USB adapter? Maybe I don't understand, but a quick search showed a ton of results for that. If you can get the camcorder to show up, even windows movie maker can "capture" the video for you (and most editing programs).
From what I read, a direct USB/FW converter does not work as it's supposedly it's 2 different technologies and the firewire speed is faster than USB 2.0. The videos come out choppy and distorted. I don't understand 100% but several searches have revealed that info. And from reviews of various products on amazon and newegg, people who bought the converter with intentions of uploading videos confirm it does not work as expected.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
Sadly, no express card slot either.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Superadmin to the rescue!

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

So your laptop doesn't have any expansion slots outside of usb? You may not be able to use the laptop then.

What are the specs on your laptop? Video recording takes A LOT of horsepower. And even if it has enough power to tackle the video recording/converting, unless the hardware is decent, you may have audio\video sync issues. Granted, you're probably not working with 1080 HD video, but it still takes a lot...

With that said, IMO, i think you should look at other options than using your laptop unless it's a performance oriented laptop. Carfreaks option is probably the cheapest/easiest/most frustration-free solution.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM

i don't know if my laptop have expansion slots to be honest. I got it a few months ago so I really haven't checked. But here are the specs:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...875D-S7232.pdf

Unfortunately I cannot use carfreak's suggestion or even use a buddy's computer because the videos I want to upload are, um, personal.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

lol

That laptop, IMO, is not capable of converting video. 1.9ghz and 5400 rpm hdd are pretty low specs for video conversion. maybe 2 frames/sec? lol... it'll take forever and who knows what the quality will be like when it has finished.

Just to compare: When i do video conversion, i use my 6 core 3.2 - 3.8 ghz beast with lots of ram, SSD, sick vid card and i *only* get 25-30 frames/sec when i convert video. I'm converting 1080i HD vid, but as you can see, it takes a lot of horsepower to do this stuff.

Last edited by ABC; 01-04-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC View Post
lol

That laptop, IMO, is not capable of converting video. 1.9ghz and 5400 rpm hdd are pretty low specs for video conversion. maybe 2 frames/sec? lol... it'll take forever and who knows what the quality will be like when it has finished.

Just to compare: When i do video conversion, i use my 6 core 3.2 - 3.8 ghz beast with lots of ram, SSD, sick vid card and i *only* get 25-30 frames/sec when i convert video. I'm converting 1080i HD vid, but as you can see, it takes a lot of horsepower to do this stuff.
I never really intended to edit videos on this laptop, that's why i didn't really consider the specs.

So basically I'm SOL then?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM

Xtrema has a spectacular aura aboutXtrema has a spectacular aura about

SOL

I would watch for cheap desktop deals and add a Firewire adapter if you want to keep the conversion private.

Any cheap desktop (i3 or i5 processor) will do. Just pick the least intensive compression (or none) during capture. You can always compress the capture in post. Just make sure you got lots of storage.

Or look for a used Firestore that works with your Camcorder, like this one:

JVC ProHD Focus FireStore DR-HD100 DTE | eBay
Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sassan

For $18, I would let Costco do it and be worry free.....
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuave624 View Post
I never really intended to edit videos on this laptop, that's why i didn't really consider the specs.

So basically I'm SOL then?
Unfortunately, yeah. i do not believe your laptop would be up to the task of doing what you want to do
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM

kierandill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassan View Post
For $18, I would let Costco do it and be worry free.....
But then he has to put up with the clerks pointing and giggling every time he comes in...
Old 01-05-2013, 12:42 AM

xeene is just really nicexeene is just really nicexeene is just really nicexeene is just really nice

Diamond One Touch Video Capture VC500 | eBay