Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS.NET LOUNGE > Off Topic!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Sassan
Default Sweet. My car is being recalled.

Nissan is recalling nearly 196,000 vehicles in U.S. - CNN.com

Quote:
(CNN) -- Nissan North America has announced the recall of nearly 196,000 sport utility vehicles in the United States for corrosion problems that could damage steering and suspension systems.

The recall extends to the Nissan Pathfinder from 1997 to 2003, and the Infiniti QX4 from 1996 to 2004.

"In areas of the country in which heavy concentrations of road salt are used, a mixture of snow/water and salt ... may result in corrosion of the strut tower housing in some subject vehicles," the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration website said.

"This may lead to grinding noises, increased steering effort, and possibly the steering column to break, resulting in the loss of steering control, which could result in a crash."

Most of the vehicles were sold in Connecticut, Delaware, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington D.C., West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Nissan will inspect the SUVs and repair the vehicles free of charge as needed.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Honda Sucks

wild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nice

Man Nissan sure uses some cheap ass metals.........
04 Honda Oddy (POS)-GONE!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 AM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

It sounds more like cheap ass corrosion coatings.

And what happens if you move from say, Calif, to the snow belt?
If you own one of these cars you're just SOL because you didn't live there at the time?
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 AM
"evie"

langjie is a jewel in the roughlangjie is a jewel in the roughlangjie is a jewel in the roughlangjie is a jewel in the rough

you mean you're not used to this with Nissan yet?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:18 PM
SuperModerator

Diesel Clown will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Diesel Clown

that sucks.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 AM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all

So I got a letter a long time ago, and it was sitting on my desk. I would look at it once in a while, but eh, I'll get to it.

I need new struts on QX4, and the recall is regarding the struts. Maybe I can get them free.

I call Infiniti today and ask what the status of this recall is because I was supposed to get a second letter and never did. Dealer told me this today:

A tech gets under the wheel well and checks it. Three options:

1. There is no rust, car is undercoated, all good.
2. There is mild rust, a bracket is installed, undercoated, all good.
3. There is major rust. The car is immediately condemned, and I am no longer allowed to drive it. They provide me a rental for up to 45 days, and buy the car back. I have to get a new car in the meantime.

Ummmmmmmm......

Not sure what to do. The car has been paid off for a couple of years, I am so happy to not have a car payment, and with the new job and the pay cut I took, I don't need a car payment on my shoulders right now. I am going to apply for a loan, just in case, and be pre-approved if I need a new car because I don't want to be stuck trying to get financing and losing time with the rental.

At the same time, its a 2002. Only 126k miles, so I would like to keep it another year, give it to the wife because she 1 mile to work, roundtrip, and let her use it with my son. Change the struts and a gasket for the oil cooler, and I am good to go.

Ironic part, I was leaving a football game and this drunk lady came up and started screaming that she had a QX4 and the dealer bought it back from her. I paid no attention, figured she was drunk.

The car originally came from Canada, so I am sure there is going to be rust, and I expect to be losing the car soon. I haven't made an appointment yet, but if its a danger, it needs to go. I am prolonging on taking it in, may have it checked independently first, but I don't know if other mechanics know exactly what to look for.

Thoughts?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Honda Sucks

wild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nice

I'd take it in...if they bought it back at far above market value.....Would that not be a good thing?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Superadmin to the rescue!

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
I'd take it in...if they bought it back at far above market value.....Would that not be a good thing?
I'm pretty sure Nissan will do everything possible to not buy back trucks. But lets say in the unlikely event sassans truck is bought back; i personally would not be happy with that if it were mine. The check i get from Nissan is not going to buy me another QX4 unless i go used. And even if it does, i still have to spend time searching for a new truck, dealing with insurance, and whatever other hassles and time eating tasks are involved with buying a new car. Not to mention, i would probably have car payments again...

With all of that said, i would bring it into the dealer to get checked out... or maybe a trusted mechanic to get an opinion on it before you bring it in. The odds of nissan condemning your truck must be very very slim.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Low-Hanging Fruit

PsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nice
Garage

Get a Hyundai.

SQUASHING ALL TEH FUNNEY!
Quote:
SIR NUPE A LOT
Your sig name should read "Ninja Edit Extraordinaire"
Quote:
AngryBot
Well when two admins fall deeply in love.....they can't physically have children so they adopt one and that's how a moderator is made.
Quote:
Griff
Hugs and no kisses (cause that is how I roll)
Quote:
Griff
Even my dogs were starting to feel sorry for Vick in the 4th quarter for the abuse he was taking.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Admin

So did a lot of reading last night. There is a huge thread on NICOclub about it.

Almost every car is being condemned. People are going from SUVs to rental Sentras/Altimas, sometimes for up to 3 months. The company hanling this, Morley, is insensitive and don't give a rat's ass, here is our offer, take it. Some people have been lucky though.

If they gave me $6k, that is not going to get me an SUV with car prices the way they are. And the hassle, oh goodness here we go. I do NOT want a car payment, but it looks like I am going to have to.

I looked at my car and don't see anything obvious, but I am taking it to a mechanic tomorrow to check it out and see what they find. Just for the sake of a second opinion.

And speaking of Hyundai, I have a CLOSE friend, like a bro to me......he works at Hyundai and we were just talking about all of this. Hyundai is an option for sure, or we can go searching for something else.

Personally, I would love a late model QX56 if I could afford it.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Admin

Went to two different independent mechanics today. Both of them checked the car, both of them found nothing at all.

Appt on Saturday, let's see how it goes!
`
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Superadmin to the rescue!

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

Good luck!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:42 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

If your car is totalled it would suck.

That is one of the things that would piss me off if someone ran into me and totalled my car.
I could never get another car that is as well cared for as mine is for what I would get as a pay out.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Admin

Took it in today. Quick look, level 2 repair, bracket and undercoating and its done. Monday I get the car back.

Of course, I won't believe it until I actually drive the car off the lot.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:11 AM
You Big Dummy!

Good news.

Hopefully all goes well and you get it back with no problems.

Since the rear suspension is going to be apart you should get a fresh alignment out of the deal as well.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Admin

Driver's side wheel well only.

I have another year of free alingments with NTB. I need new front struts, and then I will get it aligned. Didn't want to spend the money before going through the recall stuff first.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Honda Sucks

I undercoared the entire underside on my 02 Altima when I first got it..........while everone was falling throught the floors like fred flinstone.....Mine were solid as the OEM Pepsi cans they came with....Until the 16 yr old chick took me and my beloved car out...

I highly recommend doing it to any car you get...hit all the bare metal you can and save yourself a lot of road noise and rust
Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 AM

Magoo will become famous soon enoughMagoo will become famous soon enough

Am I the only one that doesn't know what undercoating is?
Old 01-01-2012, 12:39 PM
You Big Dummy!

I sprayed undercoating on the wheel wells but not the floors.
I did mine for road noise not for rust protection.
We don't get snow here, hell, it was 77 degrees yesterday.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Honda Sucks

There was so much bare shit under my 02....it made a great difference in the noise....