Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS.NET LOUNGE > Off Topic!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 AM
SuperModerator

Diesel Clown will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Diesel Clown
Default Kawasaki Ninja 250R

what do you guys think of this bike as a beginner bike? I was planning on buying a scooter next summer to get around the city (not to mention parking a WRX really SUCKS). It looks decent, and with 250cc, I wouldnt be able to kill myself if I tried.

Ninja® 250R : Photos

Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 AM
Ticket Magnet

Jose3.5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jose3.5 Send a message via MSN to Jose3.5 Send a message via Yahoo to Jose3.5

I was looking at those as well. Not too big and strong and a decent price.

2007 Altima 3.5 SE CVT

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-09-2008, 07:36 AM

Robmac is on a distinguished road

Too small, you will quickly get bored with it, (it's good bike for a women or 16 year old). I suggest the 500 for a beginner's bike for most men.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Special Member

geoff94alty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to geoff94alty

The 250 is a great bike (don't let the canadian fool you). Though good luck finding a new one. Though if you do, take many pictures and don't (performance) mod it. Just ride it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyKoH View Post
Get two mufflers, then you will have carbon dioxide instead of carbon monoxide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
theyre so open minded - their brains fell out.
can i use that here?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:16 AM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

Although it would be very under powered once you've had the bike for awhile it would be a great city bike.
Forget the scooter (scooter=gay) you'll enjoy the baby Ninja a lot more.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Special Member

scooters aren't gay. you've never gotten to ride one, have you? They're fucking fun.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:45 AM

The 250 is way under powered for most men, trust me.

If your like 95% of us you'll think the 250 is great for a few weeks, maybe even quick, and then you'll get used to it and by the two month mark you start thinking about moving up.

Getting the 500 with nearly 60 HP you'll be able to drive it for at least a year or two before you get bored with it. It has enough power to bring a smile to your face, and you can take your little lady with you on highway and not get yourself killed trying to pass something.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:10 PM
SuperModerator

I thought about that, and wanted to get a 600cc bike to start with. A ton of my friends got bored of their 600cc bikes very quickly, but I really only want to use this to get around the city and to and from my car (if I get this bike, I can finally park my car in another borough). I have my car to play with so I'm not really worried about it being underpowered. NYers know parking is scarce so this would be perfect. I've never ridden a scooter, but I have no problem with that either so it's still up in the air. My fiancee is 100 pounds and I'm about 190. Do you guys think we'll have problems riding this on the highway?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Superadmin to the rescue!

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure you've thought about this, but why bother spending all that dough (money to buy the bike, insurance, gas...) on a bike when you can use the subway/buses to get around? You can use the subway/buses (more so buses once out of the city) pretty easily to get to wherever you parked your car.

Doesn't sound like a good financial move IMO, especially with your other options.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:25 PM
SuperModerator

that's the thing. I typically have appointments with clients out of the city (westchester, white plains, melville, hempstead, etc) so I need to have my car with me. I park it on the street near my apt (and if you remember where I live, there's not exactly a lot of parking), so it gets frustrating parking. I figured if I get this bike, I can park the car in my fiancee's parents (who live near bayside - so that's an annoying train + 2 bus transfers away) - and just take a 20 min ride to the car when I need to use it. Plus, if its not that far away, I can just ride the bike to my appointments instead. I don't know dude, everything's still undecided.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Superadmin to the rescue!

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

I hear ya on the parking in that area. It's horrendous. I used to have to drive uptown to the 80's/90's, find parking up there and take the subway back down for the night, lol

I dunno... i still think it's a lot of money to spend on somethign that will mainly take you from your apt to your car. Have you worked out the actual dollars that this thing will cost you overall (meaning initial purchase and then longterm)? Including maintenance? You're getting married (mucho $$), honeymoon i'm sure and i know you're saving for a house... The dough you could be saving while taking the sometimes inconvenient public transportation could pay off real nicely.

and not to mention the safety of riding in the city and surrounding areas. And what about the winter? Are you goign to spend all this money ont he bike only to ride it 5 months out of the year?

Last edited by ABC; 10-09-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Clown View Post
I thought about that, and wanted to get a 600cc bike to start with. A ton of my friends got bored of their 600cc bikes very quickly, but I really only want to use this to get around the city and to and from my car (if I get this bike, I can finally park my car in another borough). I have my car to play with so I'm not really worried about it being underpowered. NYers know parking is scarce so this would be perfect. I've never ridden a scooter, but I have no problem with that either so it's still up in the air. My fiancee is 100 pounds and I'm about 190. Do you guys think we'll have problems riding this on the highway?
If it's just point A to B your looking for, then the 250 will be fine, even with the girlfriend on it at highway speeds. Keep in mind though you will have very little passing power. I've seen many people start off with too small of a bike and regret it almost immediately once they start getting comfortable with it.

If you want to ride on the back roads with your friends on their bikes then you'll regret going with the 250 unless you like riding always at the back and pushing the engine hard to keep up. (And IMO there is nothing wrong with just enjoying a sedate cruise anyways.)

Personally I'm looking at the 650R for this upcoming spring, I want comfort above all and a little speed from time to time (Can't commit to the cruiser lifestyle yet).
Old 10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff94alty View Post
scooters aren't gay. you've never gotten to ride one, have you? They're fucking fun.
I've ridden the hell out of a Honda 50cc scooter. And it was like the old saying goes, 'Scooters are like fat chicks, sure they're fun to ride just don't let your friends catch you on one.'
Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
You Big Dummy!

Another reason to forget the scooter is the stability.
The center of gravity is way above the center of the axles on scooters so they are inherently more unstable than a regular bike.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:04 PM
"evie"

langjie is a jewel in the roughlangjie is a jewel in the roughlangjie is a jewel in the roughlangjie is a jewel in the rough

if you were planning on getting a scooter, get the 250 instead (if I got a job near where I lived, I would have went this route)

if you were planning to buy a bike, then get a 500-600.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
SuperModerator

chrid, I calculated the insurance and maintenance/fuel and it'd end up being less to operate than my car, but having BOTH vehicles would obviously cost more. I really don't know yet. I thought about just selling my car too. It seems the past few years that we only get maybe 2 or 3 snowy days a year in the city, so it doesn't seem impossible to ride the bike/scooter year round. robmac, points noted. A lot of my friends that used to ride don't anymore, and many of them have gotten injured one way or another, so I'd probably only use this mainly for transportation. Another reason why I want either a scooter or this bike is because I really don't want to get sucked in to riding as a hobby, as I did my car. I find that I spend way too much money on things and go overboard - especially when I tend to get in and out of hobbies very quickly. I spent about $10k in one month on hooking my car up and now I couldn't even care less about driving is anymore. I might as well be driving a camry.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:04 PM

Ultimatuc is on a distinguished road

http://www.shaner.net/thericker/1.jpg
Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 PM
SuperModerator

^exactly why I just can't see myself getting a high powered bike. My friends all tell me that most of the time, it's other drivers that get you into trouble.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:32 PM

Things to keep in mind.

1 - On a bike you always loose in a accident, it doesn't matter whose is at fault. (Damn that's a ugly looking leg !)
2 - Most bike are extremely powerful (power to weight ratio), even a 500 Ninja can sprint zero to sixty in less then 4 seconds.
3 - You MUST always drive defensively
4 - Most accidents are caused by the other driver, usually a car etc. Assume they don't see you.
5 - Buy proper attire (Road rash sucks... I know personally)
6 - Drive with-in your capabilities... leave the racing for the track
Old 10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
If it's just point A to B your looking for, then the 250 will be fine, even with the girlfriend on it at highway speeds. Keep in mind though you will have very little passing power. I've seen many people start off with too small of a bike and regret it almost immediately once they start getting comfortable with it.

If you want to ride on the back roads with your friends on their bikes then you'll regret going with the 250 unless you like riding always at the back and pushing the engine hard to keep up. (And IMO there is nothing wrong with just enjoying a sedate cruise anyways.)

Personally I'm looking at the 650R for this upcoming spring, I want comfort above all and a little speed from time to time (Can't commit to the cruiser lifestyle yet).
Buy my 650R

And diesel clown, don't forget the cost of tires. I dropped almost $500 in tires on my 650R. My car's were $550. I'll get 3-4 times the miles out of the car tires. Also, check out TMW Motorcycle Forums and Bike Pic Photo Gallery Good peoples over there if you're into moto forums; check out the stickies in the new riders forum there. And for the love of all that is good in this world, take the beginer rider's course through the MSF. DON'T let your buddies teach you, DON'T think you should just go learn on your own, and for fucks sake, don't hammer what ever you get before you know how it'll react. Motorcycle Safety Foundation