Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS.NET LOUNGE > Off Topic!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:46 PM
The original black Elvis.

Blacktop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blacktop
Default I passed the PE

sweet.
I now has a license to practice enjunearing.

afraid?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:07 PM

Al Bundy's Friend Griff will become famous soon enoughAl Bundy's Friend Griff will become famous soon enough

Very.

Congats.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Be very afraid...

Creature is on a distinguished road

Just don't **** anything up b/c now you can get sued directly (along with your company). But you probably knew that. I passed my EIT but didn't end up in a career that could allow me to obtain my PE.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Low-Hanging Fruit

PsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nicePsyKoH is just really nice
Garage

What's "the PE"?

SQUASHING ALL TEH FUNNEY!
Quote:
SIR NUPE A LOT
Your sig name should read "Ninja Edit Extraordinaire"
Quote:
AngryBot
Well when two admins fall deeply in love.....they can't physically have children so they adopt one and that's how a moderator is made.
Quote:
Griff
Hugs and no kisses (cause that is how I roll)
Quote:
Griff
Even my dogs were starting to feel sorry for Vick in the 4th quarter for the abuse he was taking.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:05 PM
The goggles do nothing

RIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really nice
Garage

^Professional Engineer (for the appropriate State).

Congrats Dude...I Imagine with a username like that you'll be doing a lot of asphalt shit...

AASHTO FTW...
Old 06-19-2008, 03:56 PM

dsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura about

Congrats bro!! I'll be taking my exam next April.

How many times did you take it?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:54 PM
2-Time BCS National Champ

LSUtigerME has a spectacular aura aboutLSUtigerME has a spectacular aura about

Congrats. I'm awaiting results of the FE, but shouldn't have any issues, it was easy.

I assume it was in Civil? How was it, I heard it was incredibly tough? Guy I interned with a few years ago took him 8 times to pass (ChemE), but he wasn't the brightest crayon.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:16 PM

sergey85 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sergey85

congrats what are u gonna do now

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black | Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|Fibre Customs EyeLids | PIAA White Fogs | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |CATTMAN RSB| ebay FSTB | NWP VIAS Block Plate |

not installed:
Phenolic Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer Kit | 07 350z rims (needs tires)| OEM spoiler(paint)
Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 PM
moderatorade

Rick is on a distinguished road

congrats!!!

05 SRT-10
65 C10
66 Charger w/ 36k og miles
87 325e over 300k and counting (R.I.P. at 310k)
95 525i
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM

ColdOne is on a distinguished road

sweet.... congrats!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 PM

Robmac is on a distinguished road

Congrats... now go build something!!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:56 PM

Thanks everyone! I took the test April 11, but the longest part of the wait was the last two weeks. I was sure I failed. I studied quite a bit but kind of ran out of time so I wasn't as strong on some subjects as I'd like.

The PE is the professional engineer's test, to get licensed so you can practice engineering, sign plans etc. It's eight hours of unadulterated fun. Just don't ever let it lapse or you'll have to take it again. I know an older guy who did just that. He's been out of school for what, 30 years, and then has to remember all that stuff again

The test was pretty grueling, especially if you get stuck on any questions and eat up a few minutes trying to figure it out. I took the civil engineering test, and I thought it was pretty difficult. In retrospect though, if I had studied certain areas a little more, and knew my reference material a little better it would have gone alot more smoothly and been alot less stressful.

Yep, I work with alot of transportation stuff, but my dream job is in geotechnical engineering. I'm having a hard time getting in there though. ah well, keep on trying I guess. Maybe the right opportunity will present itself.

LSU, it is a tough test but it's all about strategy. A person that has prepared their test taking strategy can do just as well as a really smart person..or do just as well as someone that is a good "test taker". I can see how some people would take several tries to pass. I can also see why some people take it once or twice and just give up.

dsuave, I am happy to say I passed it on my first try.
God am I glad that's over with.

:signs015:
Old 06-20-2008, 08:38 AM

dsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura about

^^Glad to hear man! I so hope I pass on my first try. 8 hours of that exam plus 2 months of studying is no joke. I would HATE to have to do that all over again.

There is this guy at my job that is in his 40's and has taken the test unsuccessfully 5 times. He's an idiot though. He can only survive at a shit company, like mine...LOL
Old 06-20-2008, 08:58 AM
The goggles do nothing

RIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really nice
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
but my dream job is in geotechnical engineering. I'm having a hard time getting in there though. ah well, keep on trying I guess. Maybe the right opportunity will present itself.
I think we spoke about this a while back...

I have been in Geotech fo 9 years as a Geologist (you have no idea how much I wish I had been an engineer). Started in St. Louis, went to KC, and now in Florida. As far as engineeering (for me), Geotech is where it's at.

I've reached the point of ops mgr, helping to run a small geotechnical firm with 2 drill rigs, and a total staff of 15.

Just a few notes:

In St. Louis I worked with one of the most reputable Geotechnical firms in the Midwest. We did high profile jobs like the Metrorail, a few Home Depots and Targets, various Lambert airport projects (seeing the fighter jets and AF-1 take off/land - was f'in aweseome), even the new Baseball Stadium after I left. When we got on-site we got the respect we deserved (construction is an industry that takes a lot of balls to work in, as you know, and can be tough as hell, especially as a testing firm).

We had 15 drill rigs, with full suport vehicles and in-houes mechanics. Shit was cool as hell and hard core. Full range materials testing lab. Reall cool shit. One of the coolest things I have done is drilles shaft (caisson) down hole inspection. Lowered 80-100 feet in the ground in a [cased] hole 3 feet wide FTW.

That being said I was just a number there, and money was the most important thing to them. Time sheets to document every 1/4 hour of time (to know how much to bill the clients)... We caught hell for getting shit wrong.

Now that I have scaled down and work for a (much) smaller firm, we don't have the large scale projects, our lab is small as hell, but we're close like a family, and with the housing industry hurting us like it is (we do residential construction geotechnical engineering), we have been told by the President that he will not let anyone go (albeit that was pretty wasted around a camp-fire).

Being with the big firm was a GREAT place to learn the ropes, but now I am happy being with a small firm.

It sounds like you have a ton of experience, so just play your cards right, and you will get in. In my case I cannot thank the experience I have gained in the field enough. Worth every bit as much as my education.

Good luck dude.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:33 AM

Habs11 is on a distinguished road

you have a certificate in Premature Ejaculation ?
Roller Blades
Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 AM

^certified by none other than Chrid!

That sounds like excellent experience Riza. I've never done the downhole caisson inspection but I've heard about it. That sounds like it would be pretty exhilarating. I bet a claustrophobic would have a ball lol. Large firm experience ftw, large firm "thanks but don't let the door hit you on the way out" ftl.

Where I'm at right now with the geotech is that I have quite alot of experience in transportation, but not so much in geotech. Thus, if I decide to go that route I better do it soon before it's too late because I'll likely have to start at the bottom of a private geotech company. I'm trying to work it out though....sayyy, you work for a goetech firm..hook a brother up? :cool:

With your experience riza, it sounds like you do an engineer's job. Ever thought about going back to school?

dsuave, just put in effort studying and working on your strategy and I'm sure you'll pass the first time. If you don't, don't worry about it. I know alot of engineers that had to take it more than once.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:31 AM
"evie"

langjie is a jewel in the roughlangjie is a jewel in the roughlangjie is a jewel in the roughlangjie is a jewel in the rough

congrats...i'm still too lazy to take the FE
Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 AM
The goggles do nothing

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
^With your experience riza, it sounds like you do an engineer's job. Ever thought about going back to school?
Hell yes...

Did a few years of it undergrad when I started school...and recently started going back until we had a kid. It's a tough call as now that all my creds are transferred, damn schools won't transfer it all, and I'll have to redo the stupid 1st-2nd year stuff (electives and English).

It's definitely in the plan for the future though...

Starting at the bottom definitley has its downsides. I can't tell you how much concrete (cylinders) I have had to test.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 PM

^aw yeah man. I did that kind of construction inspection stuff for a year, full time. I learned a ton, but at the end of that year I was so sick of concrete cylinders, and rebar inspections, and proctors and slimy contractors etc.
I can't believe they won't transfer your credits. Bureaucratic bs probably. That sucks.

langjie, take that FE and get it done. It's not too bad.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Superadmin to the rescue!

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

Congrats!!! I work in an environmental engineering firm and i always hear how difficult the PE exams are.