Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS.NET LOUNGE > Off Topic!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Sassan

^irrelevant. They played within the rules of the game as is.

You set these rules up. We played within the confines of those rules and were successful. Now you punish us by exclusion.

Not you (the readder) per se, but you should know what I mean with the statement above.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:28 PM
Resident Lush

deft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nice

If there's anyone to be mad at about this match up it's Oklahoma, they had that game and botched it. Saban was not losing to Dabo with a months prep. There's a 70% chance this would have been the championship game with an 8 team playoff. The only gripe I have is playing this game at 9pm on a Monday, especially after 2 days of wild card NFL games the days before. Should make this game the next Friday at 7pm.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all

8 teams will only let less worthy teams in.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Resident Lush

deft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nice

^ I like the UCF story as much as anyone, but against a motivated team they would've lost. Auburn didn't seem to gaf about winning the Peach Bowl.

Unrelated, how overrated is Jim Harbaugh? Big 10 went 7-1 because he sucks as a big game coach.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:26 PM
Admin

^no, he sucks as a coach in college, period. He has no QB, he has one win vs OSU, PSU, MSU, etc.

Western Michigan last year? Come on, you know better. This system is rigged for the big boys only, and it has been proven several times now.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:56 PM
Learn to swim

Sharky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassan View Post
This system is rigged for the big boys only, and it has been proven several times now.
Just like last season when Penn State beat Ohio State, went on to win the Big 10 Conference, yet Ohio State was selected over them by the same NCAA Playoff Committee you bitch about. Not to mention, Ohio Fake went on to lose 31 to zip in their playoff game. Meh............
Old 01-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Admin

^nothing to do with my argument about UCF. Last year, should have been Western Michigan over OSU/PSU. This year, UCF over Bama/OSU/USC.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:23 AM
Learn to swim

Quote:
^nothing to do with my argument about UCF. Last year, should have been Western Michigan over OSU/PSU. This year, UCF over Bama/OSU/USC.
I don't remember that same argument against Ohio State from you last year, but maybe I missed it.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:06 PM

dsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura about

UCF has a legitimate argument after they beat Auburn. Not for nothing but their logic is historically sound as many teams, including Alabama, have claimed national championships. Not sure if they would have gone undefeated in a P5 conference but we will never know. No G5 school will ever make the playoffs under this system. They would need to start off ranked in the top 5 and go undefeated to have a shot.

The BCS system was ass. The current CFP is better, but still ass. 8 teams is the next logical step.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Learn to swim

I felt bad for Utah when they went undefeated and beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

Maybe a 6 team playoff system with one spot guaranteed to a non-P5 team would work better?

For example, this year's playoff would have had: UCF, Ohio Fake, Bama, Clemson, Georgia, and Oklahoma. Who could have bitched about that line-up?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:46 PM
2-Time BCS National Champ

LSUtigerME has a spectacular aura aboutLSUtigerME has a spectacular aura about

Schedule tougher teams and have a better argument.

Baylor/TCU was IN a Power 5 Conference and were left out. Boise St. was left out of the BCS many times because they had a weak conference.

Going undefeated is not the only criteria. The G5 gets little respect for its conference schedule, but if it had 2 P5 powerhouses as Non-Con, then maybe they have a chance. NOBODY said UCF deserved a chance until they beat Auburn in the bowl game. All they had to do was beat Auburn/Bama/OSU/OU in the regular season and they’d be in.

I like what it all encourages. It encourages tougher conferences (and conference expansion) AND tougher non-conference games. If you play a weak non-con, you get punished for any hiccup in conference.

It’s all flawed. But nobody likes it when the established rules do not work in their favor.

Like I said earlier:
Expand to 8 teams
P5 Auto-Bid under certain met criteria (Similar to RPI Top 100)
3 At-Large Teams (one from G5 under certain criteria, similar to BCS bowl games)
Old 01-06-2018, 01:57 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
I felt bad for Utah when they went undefeated and beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.

For example, this year's playoff would have had: UCF, Ohio Fake, Bama, Clemson, Georgia, and Oklahoma. Who could have bitched about that line-up?
McElroy said they didnt really prep for that game, because they had no motivation. I call bullshit. As a competitor, you get ready, period.

Who could have bitched? The Pac-12 champ was left out.......USC.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:00 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigerME View Post

I like what it all encourages. It encourages tougher conferences (and conference expansion) AND tougher non-conference games. If you play a weak non-con, you get punished for any hiccup in conference.

Itís all flawed. But nobody likes it when the established rules do not work in their favor.

Like I said earlier:
Expand to 8 teams
P5 Auto-Bid under certain met criteria (Similar to RPI Top 100)
3 At-Large Teams (one from G5 under certain criteria, similar to BCS bowl games)
And now teams are planning lesser foes later in the season to ensure they dont lose late.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
And now teams are planning lesser foes later in the season to ensure they dont lose late.
Fuckin BS.

Late in the season teams are in the middle of a rough AF conference schedule. They arenít scheduling ďlesserĒ foes so they donít lose to please the committee, they are scheduling them to have a pseudo bye during a typical P5 October/November. They have capitalized on a huge market by having these opening weekend neutral site games between marquee opponents. This has dramatically improved the matchups as it eliminated the money aspects of a home/Home.

The B12 flat out gave them a bye when then didnít have a conference championship game. This extended the schedule a week to ensure they were playing on Championship Weekend.

Most teams play a non-stop conference schedule throughout October and November. With only one bye in a long season, when you schedule a ďweakerĒ opponent doesnít bother me, provided you play a full P5 conference schedule AND at least one non-con P5 AND itís a D1 opponent (this is debatable as the D2 and under schools need the big boy paychecks).
Old 01-07-2018, 12:02 AM
Admin

Dude, there were all kinds of articles about teams i.e. Notre Dame scheduling "lesser" foes late in the season to minimize the chances of a loss and ruining playoff chances.

I agree, there are more marquee matches and it is great. But gtfo, Bama played Mercer the week before, Clemson played Citadel, Auburn had LA-Monroe the week before rivalry week. You cannot tell me it is for money or a rest week.

Play those games in Sept/Oct, not November.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Dude, there were all kinds of articles about teams i.e. Notre Dame scheduling "lesser" foes late in the season to minimize the chances of a loss and ruining playoff chances.

I agree, there are more marquee matches and it is great. But gtfo, Bama played Mercer the week before, Clemson played Citadel, Auburn had LA-Monroe the week before rivalry week. You cannot tell me it is for money or a rest week.

Play those games in Sept/Oct, not November.
But thatís not how scheduling works. In the SEC, and I assume other conferences, the Conference Office sets the conference schedule. The school has absolutely no say in it. They then have to fill the remaining slots with teams open and willing, typically money limited (i.e. the Home/Home issue). No school wants to give up a payday. If the schedule is set with an open date late in the season, the school has to find a team willing to travel. Very few P5 schools have open dates during conference play, and many also reserve their schedule for ďRivalryĒ weekend (UGA/GT, UF/FSU, etc) which further limits premier matchups late in the season.

I agree that any FCS school or podunk school (I.e. Troy ) is not entertaining and shouldnít be played when the stakes are higher. Iíd love the G5 to get some action there too. Buts itís a very difficult thing to accomplish.

Notre Dame is very, very different. They are not in a conference and donít have the same conference schedule.

Like I said before, WHEN they play a podunk school Iím not going to hold against a team, provided their schedule is equivalent in the end (looking at you Baylor). Iím happy the opening week neutral site games provide the matchups we otherwise would never see. LSU opens against Miami in 2018, BYU this year, Wisconsin last year.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:02 AM
Learn to swim

Those neutral site season openers have been great for college football. Florida opened with Michigan despite having to play Lsu, Georgia, and Fsu every year.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM

dsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura about

G5/P5 scheduling is one of problems too. Big time P5 schools have no benefit scheduling a top G5 school because there is no incentive. If they win, the argument is 'they should have won'. Lose, they take heat for a losing to a G5 team. G5 schools cannot easily schedule 2 per season. They are honestly lucky to get 1.

For ND, I'm not a big fan of them. But they schedule legitimate opponents.

I also think timing of the games is irrelevant. You need to win games regardless of when they're played. I'd personally want to schedule easier teams early to iron out the kinks as opposed to playing a tough conference opponent game 1.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigerME View Post
But thatís not how scheduling works. In the SEC, and I assume other conferences, the Conference Office sets the conference schedule.

Exactly. So this is an easy fix.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:21 PM
Learn to swim

Go Georgia Bulldog$.........