Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS.NET LOUNGE > Off Topic!
View Poll Results: Sell the car or nah?
Sell it for whatever 2 25.00%
Keep it and use it as my coffin 2 25.00%
I had a gay experience once and it wasn't half bad 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Resident Lush

deft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nice
Default Old Car Question

I've been racking my brain about this for 2 years now, I'll try to keep it quick.

This is the car in question: 2004 G35, lowered, 19's 275 on the rear, sway bars, springs and shocks, 29,000 miles.

I was in an accident 11 years aold, hit a deer, no frame damage but still $12k in parts in labor, according to KBB this car is worth $8k which pisses me off.

I drive it maybe 1000-2000 miles a year during the summer, it's still fun and whatever but I'm getting old and I don't drive it like I used to. It basically is sitting there wasting away for more than half the year, but selling it for $8000 would hurt, the mods alone were $5000.

So sell it for whatever it's worth or keep it until I die as the longer I wait to sell it the less it's worth.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:00 PM

xeene is just really nicexeene is just really nicexeene is just really nicexeene is just really nice

Sell it. Get a new q50 red sport.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:18 PM
Bow down

Nismom has a spectacular aura aboutNismom has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Nismom Send a message via MSN to Nismom Send a message via Yahoo to Nismom
Visit Nismom's Facebook Visit Nismom's MySpace Visit Nismom's YouTube

Like you, it's just gonna keep depreciating, so you might as well get what an for it now. Otherwise, you'll be posting this same poll in 5 years asking if you should sell it for $3000 or keep letting it collect dust.

$8K in the bank is $8K more than you have now, right? We all know cars don't hold their value for shit so, like me, let someone else have a turn! :p
Old 06-21-2017, 03:22 PM
2-Time BCS National Champ

LSUtigerME has a spectacular aura aboutLSUtigerME has a spectacular aura about

Cut ties and sell it.

Mods will never recoupe what they cost. You can try to Part it out, or spend a little more time to find someone who values the mods and is willing to pay a premium for it.

Not sure why you mentioned the accident, it has very little value/impact to this. It's an old car now. It has low mileage, but that just helps its marketability, not its resale as much.

It also depends on what you are keeping it/using it for. Do you need an alternative vehicle for those 1-2k miles? Will you have to replace it with something? By all means, don't sell a perfectly good (free) car just to replace it with a $35k new car that is only driven 1-2k miles.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Sassan

Drive the shit out of it for two years, then sell. Keep miles off of a newer car.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:37 AM

dsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigerME View Post
Cut ties and sell it.

Mods will never recoupe what they cost. You can try to Part it out, or spend a little more time to find someone who values the mods and is willing to pay a premium for it.
I agree with this. Gut out the after market parts, return to stock, sell parts, then get rid of the car. I think this is the best way to maximize your return. Plus. there is a small market of people who will be looking for modified cars, especially a luxury model. You might actually get less than KBB simply because the perception of modified cars is that they were beat up.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:01 AM
Learn to swim.

cpo_sharky has a spectacular aura aboutcpo_sharky has a spectacular aura about

Another option is to post an ad on Craigslist with a detailed listing of all your mods and ask more than KBB. Maybe $10K or $11K, firm. Who knows, there might very well be people out there willing to pay a little extra for a nicely modified G35 with low miles.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:22 PM
Resident Lush

deft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nicedeft is just really nice

^ I tried that once in college with an Integra GSR, all the morons who were interested just wanted to drive the shit outta it, that was a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuave624 View Post
I agree with this. Gut out the after market parts, return to stock, sell parts, then get rid of the car. I think this is the best way to maximize your return. Plus. there is a small market of people who will be looking for modified cars, especially a luxury model. You might actually get less than KBB simply because the perception of modified cars is that they were beat up.
This is def the best way to go about maximizing the selling price but I don't have any of the OEM parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeene View Post
Sell it. Get a new q50 red sport.
I fucking wish, saw Q60 Red Sport 400 at the dealer and nearly impregnanted my shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtigerME View Post
It also depends on what you are keeping it/using it for. Do you need an alternative vehicle for those 1-2k miles? Will you have to replace it with something? By all means, don't sell a perfectly good (free) car just to replace it with a $35k new car that is only driven 1-2k miles.
It's my summer car which was a douchey yet kinda cool thing to have when you're in your mid 20, but not that'm hitting my upper 30's with a family it's just seems like a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismom View Post
Like you, it's just gonna keep depreciating, so you might as well get what an for it now. Otherwise, you'll be posting this same poll in 5 years asking if you should sell it for $3000 or keep letting it collect dust.

$8K in the bank is $8K more than you have now, right? We all know cars don't hold their value for shit so, like me, let someone else have a turn! :p
This is the answer I would give if I were giving my opinion to someone else, which means this is most likely the right answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassan View Post
Drive the shit out of it for two years, then sell. Keep miles off of a newer car.
I think the value is so far gone I might as well do this and trade it in with my daily for a QX70.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Bow down

Nismom has a spectacular aura aboutNismom has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Nismom Send a message via MSN to Nismom Send a message via Yahoo to Nismom
Visit Nismom's Facebook Visit Nismom's MySpace Visit Nismom's YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft View Post
This is the answer I would give if I were giving my opinion to someone else, which means this is most likely the right answer.

Duh.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:39 PM
Superadmin to the rescue!

ABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to beholdABC is a splendid one to behold

Time to let it go my man. Get cash now while it's still worth *something*. I am sure $8k could treat your fam to a nice vacation, or pay for a ton of food, gas, etc.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:18 AM
Resident Lush

^ Yeah it's time, I hate to admit this but I'm sick of driving manual and kinda over the rough ride. Even though it handles extremely well there are so many new luxury cars that could work it around corners while being comfortable.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:23 AM

flarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of light

You guys might remember I had a '05 C55 Benz from 2012 to 2015. I wanted to hold on to that car "forever". But because things started breaking left and right, and finally the transmission was slipping, I traded it in for a Mazda CX5.

Then about a 6 months of not having that 2nd fun car..... Plus it didn't help my friend who has a '04 E55 Benz bought a RS7 Audi...... Jan 2016 I bought a '13 C350 4matic coupe. The C350 doesn't have the straight line speed of the C55 on paper, but the power was plenty enough, and handled and steers way better than the C55.

At the time when I was working in Sleepy Hollow NY, driving 80 mile roundtrip 5 days a week, and alternating with the CX5..... I still put on 10k miles in the C350 in a year.

I hope I can hold onto this Benz longer than the previous one. And now since I recently discovered all these Facebook groups of "Cars and coffee" gatherings, I really want to be able to make it out to one of these.

I'm going to quote what my friend's wife told him when he was deciding to sell his boat. His wife said not to sell the boat. Because if he ever wanted to get back into boating, it'll be too expensive to start all over again.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:30 AM

flarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of lightflarearrow is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
^ Yeah it's time, I hate to admit this but I'm sick of driving manual and kinda over the rough ride. Even though it handles extremely well there are so many new luxury cars that could work it around corners while being comfortable.
I would have said maybe if you got a new spring, wheel, tire set, and made the ride a bit softer, it'd be worth keeping, but you are tired of driving the manual.

And also, I had this conversation with my RS7 friend...... Cars just keep getting faster and faster, and more capable. Cars that would have been hot shit 5 years ago are tame compared to what's being pumped out today. Whatever car you buy, something else will always be faster and more capable coming down the pipeline.

Remember back in the early 2000's the last of the old M3's with the 333 hp NA straight 6 and that was hot shit? Now look at the new Camry pumping out 300 hp from it's V6 to the front wheels.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Resident Lush

^ oh dude trust me I know, 280hp is average as hell these days. I was driving it yesterday I had trouble with a WRX, not even a STI, a fucking base model was keeping up with me, luckily the suspension mods keep the car fun.

Decided to go with Sassan route, beat the shit out of it and dump it at 50k miles for whatever it's worth, the nostalga is the main reason.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:08 PM

xeene is just really nicexeene is just really nicexeene is just really nicexeene is just really nice

Deft, post some pics!
Old 06-30-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
^ oh dude trust me I know, 280hp is average as hell these days. I was driving it yesterday I had trouble with a WRX, not even a STI, a fucking base model was keeping up with me, luckily the suspension mods keep the car fun.

Decided to go with Sassan route, beat the shit out of it and dump it at 50k miles for whatever it's worth, the nostalga is the main reason.
So just enjoy it for what it is, and not what you're trying to catch up to. I say "show and shine" it, and start attending these "Car and coffee" meets
Old 06-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Resident Lush

^ agreed, ill look into local meets for sure.