Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > VEHICLE TECHNICAL DISCUSSION > Nissan Sentra Technical Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 09:37 AM
How now brown cow?

Thajones is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Thajones
Default B15 Modification Reviews

To help with "which should I choose" and "where can I get" threads for new members, please post here what modifications you have gotten installed for your Sentra.

Please include what year/style Sentra you have,where you got the part, how much it cost, how long it took to install, and your impressions.

Redneck rite of passage
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 AM
How now brown cow?

Okay, so I'll start it off from some of my other posts.

Stillen Header/Downpipe for '02 Sentra SE-R
Bought used at AMS, $150
About a 2 hour install, mostly because of bolts and I didn't have the original Stillen gaskets that come with a new one

Once again, install done at AMS. I've read where folks say it'll take you an hour to do yourself, but with the bolt issues and stuff AMS had, I'm glad I didn't attempt to break all my sockets.

This part completes my intake and exhaust - Nismo CAI (as a SRI right now), and Dynomax catback. I experimented all the way back down to Hampton Roads.

It IS louder. At idle it's just slightly louder, still nice and deep. As I accelerate slowly, it's probably a couple of decibels louder; there is some rasp between 2500 and 3000 rpms, coming from the front I think. Pretty much goes away after that. Stays a bit louder as I accelerate, but once I get to cruising speeds, you can barely tell it's there. No buzz, no drone, just cruising with a almost-stock sound. The Dynomax is definitely controlling the sound well.

Of course, at WOT, all bets are off.

Acceleration in 1st and 2nd are about the same, I couldn't really tell much in the way of difference, but in 3rd, 4th, and 5th, above 3500 that sucker just pulls. And pulls strong.

I'm going to give it a week or two to see if anything changes tonally that will make me reconsider adding a resonator, and of course it stinks some because the stillen combo leaves me cat-less. But overall, I'm satisfied with the results.

**Update 05/2006**
Rasp has toned down, and I've perfected the low shift around the police to not get a ticket. Gas mileage, between this and the CAI and catback has increased to 26 city/34ish highway. When I drive like I've got some sense.

Last edited by Thajones; 03-07-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 AM
How now brown cow?

Tanabe GF210s for '02 Sentra SE-R
Used off of thevboard.com classifieds, $160
45 minute install

After much searching, was able to buy some used Tanabe GF210s, one of the few springs that had nothing but great reviews. I expected the ride to be rougher than it is, with spring rates and lowering of 207lbs/1.3 inches front, and 314lbs/1.1 inches in the rear. Highway is pretty smooth, I can barely tell the difference between stock and these springs. She corner's better, of course, and really doesn't like cobblestone and railroad tracks, but what lowered car does?

If you're not going full coilovers, this is the set to buy (or the Eibach Pro-kit). Have yet to bottom out the struts.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
How now brown cow?

Greddy Counterweight Shift knob for 02' Sentra SE-R
$45
5 minute install

Not much to this one, I saw good reviews on it and figured I'd give it a shot. Anyone driving one of these Sentra's knows how tricky that shift to 2nd (and sometimes 3rd) can be, kinda notchy. This actually helped, I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't going to simply be a ricey add-on. Much improved shifter feeling, less of that grind-it-til-you-find-it.

Cons - sucker is cold in the winter and hot in the summer, being metal. And I swear despite my best efforts I put the shift pattern on the knob crooked.
How now brown cow?

$50ish dollars used from thevboard.com, a bargain, about a 30 minute install

A nice rounding out to my whole intake/exhaust system. Currently run as a WAI, from what I've read gains are minimal as a CAI and your filter gets dirtier faster. Smoother acceleration, probably no more than 2-3 hp on it's own.

How now brown cow?

$55 from thevboard.com, seriously, less than 10 minute install.

It took me 2-3 days to get used to it, it sits a bit further forward, and I was so conscious of trying to make sure I was shifting it far enough, you feel like you haven't gotten it all the way in the forward gears (1st, 3rd, 5th) but now I'm used to it. Shortened the throw range 40-50% from what I can tell. For the price, a great mod. Not as sexy as a performance mod or a show mod, because you are the only one that knows for the most part, but still worth doing. Recommended.

Man, my battery top and filter are dirty.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:44 AM
How now brown cow?

50/50 mix Redline MTL and MT90 transmission fluid

Cost - $40 (4 bottles for approximately 3 quarts held by tranny) plus $4 for the 10mm hex male socket

Time involved - 30 minutes

It took me 30 minutes because I did it by myself, if I had someone underneath it would've taken less time.

Word of advice - loosen the filling hex bolt before loosening the drain bolt - otherwise, you may end up with drained fluid and no way to put new fluid in if you have problems. Second note - that fluid shoots out that draining hole, I made a bit of a mess by underestimating how far out it would shoot (almost to the tire). Don't get a long-tube funnel that flexes too much, that 90 angle at the end will kink up on you and you'll have to go back and forth between putting fluid in and unkinking underneath to drain it out.

Shifting is a bit smoother, and there was a whir I used to have that is gone now. From what I'm told, the bigger difference I'll notice when trying to shift in cold weather. But I can tell the difference now, although I imagine it would be like butter if I didn't have a short shifter in already.

Tranny fluid stinks. I came in the house and the Mrs. said I smelled funny.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Installed the energy suspension motor mount inserts today and all I can say is that this is best $40 I have ever spent on any car!.... The install was a PITA, but well worth the results. No wheel hop what so ever!

Energy Suspension motor mount inserts
$40/Ebay
1.5hr install time

Pros: No more wheel hop, noticably smoother acceleration

Cons - Install was a pain for a first timer. Make sure you have a good set of tools, jack, and stands.
Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 09:45 AM
How now brown cow?

Cost $15

Time to install 15 minutes

If there's one thing I've discovered, is that I'm terrible at applying overlays/decals. The only ones I've put in easy were the altimas.net ones by Ry. This was no different. I guess the problem I had was that being round, there was no way I could apply them without a crease somewhere, like at the edge or something. I tried a few times by pulling it off and redoing it but could not get them perfect. This is not an indictment of his overlays, more my ability to apply it.

That all being said, they still look great! They stand out without looking ricey (IMHO), and look just as good lights on or off. Of course when you get up on 'em close you can see my failed attempt at putting them on perfect, but I'm not going to any car shows anytime soon.

I tried camera phone pics and they didn't come out well, especially the "lights on" pics, so you'll have to imagine the quality in real life.

Recommended.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipunish1216 View Post
yo whaz up i just put megan racing header in my 02 spec-v, and it was a bitch man. it took me like 3 hours. the alternater was the hardest part movin it and stuff like that . the monifold bolds were a lil tricky but i got then out in good time. man it is a great mod i'd say. there is so much more pull. the wheels just keep spinnin in first lol but i recommend headers for a great mod on ur spec-v Pzz
~~~BeN~~~

Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANTHAVEMYSPEC View Post
I got my 04 specv in january, and so far all it has is a nismo catback and nismo black shift knob. The catback sounds great, barely know its there, but when i do put in into action it has a deep sound. And of course the shift knob is there for looks, and it looks great. Got both from mossyperformance. Ill be getting es mm's in a few weeks.

Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 09:47 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04se-r View Post
NISMO I/H/E, NISMO CAMS, NISMO COILOVER>i love it. i bought them all the dealer. i know its expensive, but there worth it. i looked online at stillen, greddy, mossyperformance, racinglab, and they were cheaper. but then, by the time tax and shipping is added, and paying for an install, its the same price as the dealers. the cloivers are great, it handles like a slot car almost. the i/h/e, cams are great!!!! there is so much power now. i smoked this idiot last week in a cobalt ss.

Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsentra View Post
well folks, just got the weapon r secret weapon intake. i have a 2006 Sentra Spec-V with Brembo's, i got it from autoaccesorystore.com they did a price match with Where The World Comes To Race ยป SRO Magazine ( Powered by phpFoX ) either one would be able to get it for you. you can link to both from weapon-r's web site. cost me 203.91 which includes shipping. its a short ram intake with, ah hell, you can read about it on their site. basically i got it mainly because on a dyno test in tpr magazine online, it out performed most all CAI's while only being a short ram. me living in Louisiana where when it rains is pours, i needed something that wouldn't act like a wetvac and suck in some water. put it on friday and i absolutely love it. i notice a difference mainly in the higher speeds but not so much in the lower gears, its so tourqy that its hard to tell. i have read that some people have problems with the filter element its self. they say the foam breaks up and gets into the engine. i wonder if they followed the instructions that say to replace the foam every 3000 mi? if not, then hell, there you have it. if so, either way i'm still putting a different filter on. maybe the Apex power intake. replacing the foam every 3000 is a little to high maintenece for me. i looked at pictures of it on an '04 and didn't notice any differences so i went ahead. when i got it however, there was skinny nub that sticks out for a small vacumme hose. i was wondering if anyone with a 2002-2004 spec could tell me where that goes or if they even have it
i also forgot to mention that i now have a myspace dedicated to my car(i just needed an easier way to put up pics) i have pics of the intake installed on there. its www.myspace.com/techsentra check it out. the pics are open to the public.

Found out where the hose that goes to the little nub on the back is. It goes down behind the intake towards the tranny. You need a hose clamp to keep it on though.

Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnxelectronics View Post
You hola at me earlier so I will hola back.
I got a 2005 Nissan SER SPEC V
I got a "Generic" Cold Air Intake from Ebay, and it cost me $20.00 DELIVERED.
That came with EVERYTHING (piping, silicone adaptors and Filter). Took me
half an hour to install.
I also got a TSUDO Cat-Back exhaust (2.5" piping with a 4.5" outlet). Got it
from Ebay for $125.00 DELIVERED. It is Stainless Steel and came with all
the gaskets/washers and bolts. Took me an hour and a half to install.
I got 18" TechnoDesno Detroit rims. The rims costed me $400.00 DELIVERED
from www.cheapwheels.com, and the tires costed me $400.00 DELIVERED
from Ebay. It took a shop 30 minutes to mount and balance.
I got a Tornado Fuel Saver (this crap works..SERIOUSLY) for $45.00. Not
ONLY did it add BETTER GAS MILAGE, I actually (honestly) felt an increase
in horse power gain.
That is it for "power" gain. I know you thinking WHY do I have generic parts on my ride. Well, My boy has a 02 SER SPEC V, with a COI AND CATBACK from NISMO, and we raced....I SMOKED HIM. And some will say it depends on the driver....Which is true........But even though I am a better driver, it goes to show that "PIPING IS PIPING"...if you could BEND a PIPE, then YOU can make YOUR OWN EXHAUST AND COI. That is the TRUTH. Hope this helps dawg. Did not load ANY pics of my ride up yet, but will if you want cuz.
Quoted (despite the Tornado reference):th_thumbsdownsmiley
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofoka View Post
I have a 2001 Sentra SE and I got an:
Straight pipe exhaust w/ 2.5" piping and a resonator, all free flow except for the loud noise, got it at the junkyard in NY.
Injen RS CAI for 192 shipped from www.ptuning.com
Energy SUspension motor mounts for 32.93 also from www.ptuning.com
Netami 2" lowering springs for $90 on eBay
Koni Yellow struts for 500 shipped also on eBay
B&M Short shifter for 150 shipped from www.ptuning.com
Unorthodox Racing SS Pulleys for 210 shipped from eBay
Progress technology camber kit front and rear for 32 dollars on eBay
Pirelli PZero Nero tires from www.discountirediscount.com cause my tires were done.
Cams and headers aren't being done cause my TURBOOOOO is coming =].
Reviews:
Exhaust, when done, sounded very very nice. First time it was all straight, free flow to the max, no muffler or resonator, and it was NICE but way too loud, so now I put the resonator and it sounds even better. Like nothing I've ever heard before but in a good way. Can't tell what my car is from hearing it. Before resonator was put in, everyone said I sounded like a SRT-4 without the splash. At normal driving speeds it's nice, and at highway speeds can barely tell it's there unless you have the radio turned off, but not too loud to overpower the intake noise.
Intake is very nice, a nice deep sound and I feel it at about 2300rpm. Not much of a gain but it just sounds nice and it makes you go a little faster hehe.
Motor mounts are a big notice, once you install them you can feel how stiff the engine is especially when you start it and it rattles like a mother when you're close to stalling out.
Netami springs were a nice drop, and the ride was awesome. Not the best but for the money the best, you didn't bounce like crazy and it handled corners well. There's a turn by my way where everyone takes it at 60 I take it at 80 and no problem.
KOni yellows are a dream, installation is a pain if you do it yourself. But after you do it, you'll be extremely satisfied. Loving the fact how they're adjustable.
B&M shifter, I didn't like at first cause of the shortness and cause I wasn't used to it but after a day I got used to it and I love it now. Won't go any other way. Throw was reduced I'd say about 65%, it's really short =]
UR Pulleys, weren't a big notice till they were recognized by the ecu, after that, faster revs and now I can hit 130 faster.
Camber kit, well, it's a camber kit, nothing felt with that, just prevents balding.
As for the tires, excellent grip and treadwear, only bad thing, it's a little pricey 444 for all 4 tires w/ shipping.
Quoted

Last edited by Thajones; 03-07-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:51 AM
How now brown cow?

Carbon fiber eyelids
Cost - $55

So, I figure, I've done a few go mods, let's go for a "show" mod. I debated long on which eyelids I wanted; I didn't want the vinyl because I didn't want a "sticker" so it was between the polyurethane and the carbon fiber. Both are advertise as 3D compared to the vinyl so I went carbon fiber.

Bad idea.

It's 3D because of the texture on it, but it's a sticker still. Not thick in the least bit. Shoulda went the polyurethane.

Problem 2 - It doesn't match my headlights. Pics below show the shape, the inner top section is a slant, while my headlights curve downward. I got an RMA number, but I have a feeling this isn't going to go well. They offer replacement but no refunds, and the box said 2000-2003 Sentra.

Last edited by Thajones; 03-07-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:54 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkell View Post
what's the catback and/or exhaust combo that sounds the LEAST like it's been modded? I don't want to advertise what I've done or drive around with a 4" tip. Looks like Megan makes one that has the dual tips like the stock muffler, but I've never heard it.

Quoted

Last edited by Thajones; 03-07-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:59 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
Yeah, I'm with him. I installed a header a while ago (really beneficial mod by the way), but never installed a cat-back system. Unfortunately most cat-backs are really loud and obnoxiuos under full throttle. Really great if you want to attract attention. There has to be a nice deep mellow exhaust out there. I've also considered putting on one of those cheap ebay cat-backs on and then chopping off the muffler and putting on something like a dynomax muffler on. I put a dynomax muffler on a vehicle several years ago and loved the way that it sounded - It wasn't the straight-through design but it was a high-flow design which had rounded edges or some crap on the inside I believe.

Quoted

Old 03-07-2008, 10:01 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraNoidmidget View Post
?
why would you waste the money about 200 on a catback plus shipping and wait time then rid everything on it .......

when you could goto any exhaust shop or do it on your own and run straight pipe to a dynomax muffler for about under 100$ yourself 150 - 200 for experienced personal to do it?\

\
\just wondering

Quoted

Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
I don't think that it is a complete waste getting rid of just the muffler on a cat back system. I would be hard pressed to make one myself or have a shop do it for that kind of price with the flanges welded on so it would bolt up and the hangers in the right place etc., etc. Where I live kind of sucks for that kind of custom work anyway. I've seen some "custom" work before and wasn't impressed with the work for the price that they paid. I would rather take some stainless pipe with me to work and bend it on a electric conduit bender (I'm a comercial electrician) which would make some really nice, smooth, large radius bends (much nicer than those exhaust benders that make those crimped bends). Of course the job that I'm on right now doesn't have a hydraulic bender there though. If I really wanted to use one though, I could probably call around and find one on another job or something. Keep that in mind dudes, if you know any electricians and want some exhaust tubing bent, tell them to do it for you at work. It would have to be 2", 2 1/2", or 3" (nothing like 2 1/4").
One last thing. I know that the power gain benefits from aftermarket exhausts aren't much, but I was wondering if anyone knew if the little bit of power gained was from the improved tubing (better bends and/or larger diameter) or was it from the high flow mufflers? The reason that I asked was because I might just try to hack off the factory muffler and put a dynomax one on in its place. Maybe the factory exhaust isn't as restrictive as it looks???

Quoted