Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan/Infiniti General Discussion

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Certified lunatic

eclypse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to eclypse
Default Wiring in an aftermarket MAF.. how?

I'm not too proud to admit I've never done that. Most of my bigger HP numbers are all on carburetors!

Are MAF's like o2 sensors in the respect that they have a pretty standard goal and method of operation that consist pretty much of a standard set of wires and input/output? How will that n60 MAF wire into the plugs existing in the Altima?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 PM

zadeluca is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to zadeluca

i think they all have the same idea, but some have subtle differences. here is an article from JWT on wiring up the Ford MAFs in our cars:

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...WIRINGINST.PDF
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Trying to be a Member

jserrano is on a distinguished road

All MAFs, of the platinum hot-wire type, operates the same. The 3-wire MAF type basically has; a power supply (B+) coming into it, an ECU-provided ground coming into it, and a signal wire going out of it and directed towards the ECU. The 4-wire MAF type basically has; a power supply (B+) coming into it, an engine ground coming into it, an ECU-provided ground coming into it, and a signal wire going out of it and directed towards the ECU.

As you can see, adding a 4-wire to a 3-wire system would just require running a separate wire to engine ground. I've read some people doubling up the two grounds together but I am not entirely certain that this is the correct way to wire it. And I suppose those that do tie them together probably end up with A/F issues - aside from the fact that the ECU needs to be tuned for a different MAF.

Hopefully, those who indeed have the experience with the N60 MAF in an Altima would chime in and give you a better answer. For now, you are stuck with mine...
Old 03-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Certified lunatic

That was exactly the info I was after. Yea I know the ECU will require retuning to the new MAF, I understand how they operate (sending X amount of voltage for Y amount of air detected) just wasnt sure if they all operated similarly like o2 sensors do with the ground/power/signal wires. Looks like they are thanks for the info.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:03 PM

Ace is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserrano View Post
Hopefully, those who indeed have the experience with the N60 MAF in an Altima would chime in and give you a better answer. For now, you are stuck with mine...
I think Peterson used a N60 Z maf on his old turbo Altima....not sure though.

I've always used the Cobra maf on any of my turbo cars....

'Engine Response > Peak HP"
Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Trying to be a Member

jserrano is on a distinguished road

Ace, when you installed the Cobra MAF, did you tie both wires together as per JWT instructions? And do you know of anyone else successfully running the Cobra MAF with any other ECU other than JWT? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:19 PM

As far as I know, JWT is the only company who uses the Cobra Maf, and the Lightning MAF for their turbo tunes. Main reason being that back in the day, the Z32 ones were SUPER expensive to buy, and a remanned Cobra one went for 100 bucks from carquest...

Now you can find used n60's for the same price....so the market has evened out.

I know Enthalpy (another popular SR RWD tuner) only uses N60 as well....

FWIW: Clark still prefers the Cobra MAF over the n60.....however I don't remember why...I just remember that he liked the Cobra hehe.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:57 PM

zadeluca is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to zadeluca

Calum can use the Cobra MAF. i mentioned that i have one already since i planned on going the JWT route, but was thinking about a Calum realtime board. he told me he can work with them as well
Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Certified lunatic

what year 240SX's does Calum's board work on?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 AM
Moderatin your moms!

Asleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
Visit Asleep's Facebook Visit Asleep's YouTube

ive got the z32 maf but i dont have the harness... argh.

RIP Elisa Lupe Katayama Dec 22 1953 - Dec 24 2008
Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadeluca View Post
Calum can use the Cobra MAF. i mentioned that i have one already since i planned on going the JWT route, but was thinking about a Calum realtime board. he told me he can work with them as well
Ah yes, I did forget about Calum!