Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan/Infiniti General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 03:24 PM

real_ashwin is on a distinguished road
Garage
Post I need new wheels & im a newbie

1) Does any1 know the weight of the standard 16' on the Altima 2008 2.5 s the specs in the manual are:
16" x 7.0" Alloy wheels 6-spoke
205/65R16 tire
I want to know the weight so i can get a lighter alloy to improve braking and accelerating.
2) Does 7' mean that's the offset...isn't that small that means most of the larger tires/alloys will be out wont it?
3) i read the FAQ made my red very informative i did a comparison online you can find a link below..
4) what is the max size ppl have replaced on their 2.5s ?
5) is there any other spec i should check before buying an alloy.

By real_ashwin at 2009-09-09

after searching online i found a similar user selling his stock alloys he had this further info for the altima 4th gen 2008 model specs:

Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 5.43"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114

Can someone explain what these are and do i need to get a tire that matches these 3 specifically ?

Last edited by real_ashwin; 09-09-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: link was not working correctly...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
RLR Is Here.

Red Lion has a spectacular aura aboutRed Lion has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
2) Does 7' mean that's the offset...isn't that small that means most of the larger tires/alloys will be out wont it?
7" in the size "16x7" means the wheel is 7" wide. 16x7 means it is 16 inches in diameter (tall) and 7inches wide.

Quote:
5) is there any other spec i should check before buying an alloy.
You should make sure it fits your lug pattern. Explained below:

Quote:
Offset: 42mm
Backspacing: 5.43"
Bolt Pattern: 5-114

Can someone explain what these are and do i need to get a tire that matches these 3 specifically ?
Offset is the distance from the middle of the wheel to the mounting hub of the wheel, expressed in milimeters. Positive offset (+) means more of the wheel sits inside the wheel well, while negative offset (-) means most of the wheel sits out past the mounting hub. Most wheels you buy will be positive offset.

Backspacing: not a lot of manufacturers tell you this number, but it means, from the mounting point and back, there is 5.43" of wheel rim.

Bolt pattern (Lug Pattern): The first number tells you how many lugs this wheel is made for, and the second tells you the size of the circle they form. 5x114.3 means five lug studs in a 114.3 milimeter circle (that's 4.5"). Your Altima has a 5x114.3 lug pattern so make sure any wheels you buy match this pattern.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 PM
06 Altima

clouderold is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to clouderold

Nice thorough answer!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 PM
...for great justice!!

Kmikl will become famous soon enough

Okay.. I checked WHEELWEIGHTS.NET and the closest analog I found to the newer Nissan Altima rims was the 98-01 rims (16X6) and they are 18 pounds.

16x7 rims go between 11 pounds for forged (Racing Hart CP-035R though IDK if they sell in bolt pattern/offset for Altima), and 25 pounds. I would figure on something in the ballpark between 20-23 pounds to be safe.

You might also consider lowering your tire profile, though that will be difficult, admittedly. As the overall diameter of the tire/rim decrease you will also increase the amount of force you'll apply to the road through the tire. To do this, you'll need to calculate your current tires' diameter against the ones you'd like, and that way you'll see the lower diameter and the multiplication of force. The calculator I linked is java based and its used to check to see how much your speedometer will be out, but you can see the difference in tire sizes.

My final thought: if you're looking to maximize your overall speed, holeshot, and agility, consider getting stickier tires (R-compound) as well. You're increasing efficiency everywhere the power is sent to the road, so you want to also increase the ability to transmit the power to the pavement.

Best of luck!

Please help with disaster recovery efforts around the world,
American Red Cross - Canadian Red Cross
Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders)
UNICEF - CARE - OXFAM
Thanks guys
Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 AM

real_ashwin is on a distinguished road
Garage

wow thanks a lot for the info its a lot of info to take in. Ok just to confirm im going to do the following:

1) I need to know what exactly i have from checking it myself and with someone who actually can confirm stuff like the Bolt Pattern and offset.
2) I will use that info to find a good alloy which matches the requirements
3) Finally i can get a 225/50/18 that fits the alloy

am i right?