Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan/Infiniti General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light
Default My Amp Died

Last week while I was driving my stereo quit working.
The HU was fine with the usual display and the usual beeps when certain functions were pressed.
I finally got around to troubleshooting my system and noticed the main fuse to amp was blown.
I thought it was no big deal and threw a new 30A fuse in there and it blew immediately.

So I rip out the amp and take it apart to begin to trace the point of the short.
I tracked down the short to be in the power supply section where there were two shorted MOSFETs.
These are acting as power regulators in the circuit and since most vehicles have decently stable power should I add a cap to the circuit to help stabilize the power going into the amp?
The amp is an Alpine 5 channel pulling 50W x 4 and 100W x 1.
I didn't think that this was pulling enough power to necessitate a cap but maybe I should add one anyway?
What do y'all think about me needing a cap with that small an amp?
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:09 AM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

Since I've had at least 48 views and no answers I guess I'll have to post this on the other site to get an answer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sassan

Capacitors are cheap anymore. Throw one in there, not hard to do, and see how it goes. That may be the solution to your problem. If not, you have a cap for the next amp.