Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan/Infiniti General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 AM
How now brown cow?

Thajones is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Thajones

Well, I went ahead and done did it. Switched out the yellow fog light overlays for the smoke. I like the look, not sure if I like it more than the yellow yet. My application skills still suck, but you can't tell unless you're on 'em.

BEFORE

AFTER

TOTAL FRONT VIEW

Redneck rite of passage
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 AM
How now brown cow?

Throttle Body Spacer, $75
Bought Here

Installed

Impressions

First, I followed the directions and disconnected the negative batter cable before working on it. Apparently those who don't can get bad idles and CELs.

Idle is up about 50rpms or so, and sometimes when coasting to a stop out of gear it'll hang at 1500rpms for a couple of seconds, but always drops to normal by the time I stop. I think both are part of the ECU learning, I'll know for sure in a week or so.

Some people notice immediately an increase in torque (which is what's it's more known for on the low end), and that's good for me since I've got a WAI for the high end anyway. I think the most immediate difference is my high gear acceleration. Say, trying to go from 50-65 in 5th gear, it definitely pulls more than before. That's what my a$$ dyno says, anyway.

It'll take a couple of fill-ups to determine if there's any bump in gas mileage, but so far my findings are in line with the other buyers.

Verdict: Recommended
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2008, 10:06 AM
How now brown cow?

My wife's SUV has that digital readout with the MPG, average MPG, distance to E, etc., and it like consumes my attention when I drive it. But no such luck for my SE-R, I have one of the no-frills versions.

So I looked up the Scanguage 2 online, and after reading glowing reviews, decided I wanted it. Got it today, and now I'm in instant-data bliss. Calculates everything from MPG to Throttle Position to Intake and Manifold temp and also pulls/clears codes.

Plugs right into the OBDII port below and to the left of the steering wheel. I'm still trying to get my cabling straight and subtle, as I have placed it on top of the steering column.

For those few of us that do NOT have the readout built-in and are the it-takes-17-minutes-to-reach-Point-B and constant-mileage-calculators, recommended.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '02b15serspec_v View Post
hello! i have a 2002 specV. i have done so much to it that it's hard to remember everything. i don't remember how long it took to install everything. starting off with the interior,
-i've custom painted various panels and pieces to match the color of the car outside.
-reverse EL glow white face guages that you can change from blue to green.
-mechanical flip down cd, mp3,dvd, head unit.
-type S shift knob coupled with a greddy short shifter
-EL glow racing pedals (red)
-2 12" audiobahn subs in custom enclosure w/ 450 watt amplifier and 2 capacitors. *i've since removed this due to installing an unorthodox racing underdrive pulley because my battery was draining too quickly.*
-----now exterior----
-stillen front lip
-evo 2 sideskirts
-stillen rear lip
-blacked out tails and reverse lights (layovers)
-red eyelids on headlights
-eibach sportline suspension lowered 2 inches in rear and 1.5 inches front.
-R1 GTR-4 rims w/ Y rated sport tires sized 205/40/r17
-Brembo big brake kit w/ slotted and drilled rotors 12" front 10" rear
-steel braided brake lines
-35% dark black tint front windows and limo black tint rear
---performance---
-previously mentioned unorthodox racing underdrive pulley
-skunk2 intake manifold
-AEM CAI
-meghan racing header coupled to full greddy exhaust
-nismo cams
-nismo cam gears
-stillen front sway bar
-ECU reflashed and top speed limiter removed (as well as my warranty)
-crower rods, lifters, and springs
-painted valve cover red to match exterior paint, powdercoated block (blue)
-Greddy diverter kit
-ACT clutch and flywheel
-Greddy oil catch can
----plan to----
-turbo charge this beast when i get the money and time!
-carbon fiber hood
-repaint car darker pearl red as well as all other painted parts to match.

i have pics of most of these mods but they are too big to put on here. hit me up at b15serspec_v@yahoo.com if you want me to email you some of them. put forum pic request in subject or i'm liable to delete it without reading.
Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 10:08 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '02b15serspec_v View Post
as you have probably already found out, skunk2 doesn't make intake manifolds for the b15ser. what i did is contacted skunk2 and inquired if they could make one for me. what i ended up having to do was send them a manifold from my year car and they engineered one for me. i had a sponsership through a local performance shop and they helped pick up the tab for it. it's really all about how much money you are willing to spend and how long you are willing to wait. my intake manifold is for sure "one of a kind" until maybe one day skunk2 decides to mass produce it. (which i doubt, considering the SE-R is not as popular of a tuner car as others out there) let's face it, aftermarket support for US nissan vehicles (except for 350z) is virtually non existant compared to honda/acura, mitsubishi evo and subaru wrx, and US made vehicles ford, chevy etc. until the recent explosion of the tuner market from fast and furious movies and need for speed underground video games, did we really see any kind of support for nissan vehicles period. everything is all about the sr20 swap or the rb26 swap. the ka24 has damn near no respect and is considered a truck motor. few people actually know that the ka24de can put down some nasty power with a turbo installed and can actually surpass the sr20det. BUT, the sr20 has much more aftermarket support and can actually be less costly than boosting the ka24de. that's why the sr20det is becoming more common of a mod. don't get me started on the disrespect that the qr25de gets on the streets. people laugh at my car until i blow their EFF'ing doors off! :angry2:
Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownSER View Post
hey thajones...how do you like that tb spacer...i just ordered the same one...what should i expect out of it???
It's pretty good, obviously it's not like adding a 75 shot of nitrous, but it does smooth out your acceleration curve, which takes a little bit of getting used. For the price, for me it was good money spent. It is a perfect fit, and the dress-up works.

He also makes those intake plenum spacers, I haven't decided if I want to go that route yet, considering I still want wheels and a lower tie bar and rear sway bar and other goodies.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoNgIsLaNd)^ View Post
I just did the Stillen header and down pipe. Big mistake to do that first, should have done the cat-back(sounds like crap right now). Anyway, I notice a difference of power from the this already (well at around 3000rpm) Set back roughly 500 bucks and 2hrs.
I am still waiting to put on my K&N typhoon cca, I want to get the bypass valve first. Set back roughly 300 bucks.
And I am going to finish the exhaust with Stillen also. The cat-back is only 400 bucks.

My goal for next summer is gettin a Turbo (I know half the stuff I have on her now won't be any good, but it gets me through this year)

Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
How now brown cow?

Phillips Nightguide bulbs

Price - $35 shipped

So, I bit the bullet and pulled my Silverstars for the Nightguide bulbs.

They are not bad - For some reason, I thought that the blue/purple would be on the outer edge for both, and the yellow on the inside for both bulbs. Based on the description on their webpage I see that it lays out like they said if you think about it. So, both bulbs have the blue/purple to the right (as you sit in the car), white in the middle, and yellow to the left. It it actually quite noticeable looking dead at it; it's hard to get a good picture of it.

I'll try to find a nice white wall to get a better picture, you can kinda see the differences if you look at the reflection at the bottom of the light housing

You wouldn't thing a small purple piece on the bulb side wall would make that big a difference in the zones, but it does. I'll have to take some dark country roads this week to see how much better it really is, but the effect, if nothing else, is nice.

Verdict - for $5 less than Silverstars in the store, recommended

EDIT - Now I've confused myself, what seemed to be that way when I took the picture now looks the opposite. More to follow....
Old 03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownSER View Post
okay so i was looking around and i came across an engine damper by weapon r... so i bought for about 160 dollars... installation was a snap...just had to take off the strut tower bar, attach two brackets then the damper...installation took 1/2 hour at most...i can now feel more vibrations from the engine on start up...but not too much more while driving...my shifting feels alot smoother, there is now no wheel hop what so ever...i have es mmi and i still had some wheel hop...and it does feel like there is more power at the wheels now...over all i would recommend this...if you want to see a video of the damper at work go to my weapon r engine damper thread...i have the links there
Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 10:16 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis_se-r_009 View Post
I got AEM CAI, OBX race header, Megan racing axle-back exhaust, and Eibach Sportline lowering springs. The car runs like a bat out of hell. i plan on switching to a catback because the axle back kinda sounds ricey. I beat the pants off a cobalt ss and ran a 14.6 at the track.
Quoted (and only partly believed)
Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMontana View Post
Hello, So i got a AEM short ram intake and i read on the stickies that you have to change the filter every 3000 miles. When i recieved the intake they gave me directions on how to clean the filter ( water filter cleaner, let it dry and put it back on) so why would you change it if your gonna clean it? SOmeone plzz... i just put it on and i dont want trouble lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer1uk View Post
If you received cleaning instructions, just clean it and re-oil it, or buy a filter that is reusable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMontana View Post
I did get instructions to clean it but it says DO NOT OIL IT. so yeah should i just clean it and toss it back in ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer1uk View Post
Yes, id just do what the instructions recomend. Enjoy
Obviously a dryflow
Old 03-07-2008, 10:21 AM
How now brown cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcangri_83 View Post
i just bought this baby abour 2 weeks ago. the guy that had it shaved oof most of the emblems , so i finished the job. got 4 new yokohama avid H-4's 215-45-17. they are pretty good tires, even though ive only had them for like 4 days. i was wondering if anyone can tell me what i should lower the car with. i mean i know springs, but which ones? i want a low ride, like the lowest possible and im price contious b/c im a college student. i dont want some cheap ass springs where i can feel every little thing on the road. ive been looking at tein S-tech, and H-techs, but they only lower the car 1.3''. i want like a 2'' drop b/c this car rides really high in stock trim. what do u suggest in the 200-300 dollars price range?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbsinger85 View Post
I'm not sure how much they cost or how hard they are to install, because they were on the car when I bought it, but I have Tein Adjustable Coilovers. I absolutely love them. They are set to drop the car about 1.5 inches right now which sits the top of the tire right at the top of the wheel well very cleanly with pretty much no gap. From what I hear they're fairly expensive.
Quoted
Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 AM
How now brown cow?

Well, I've always wanted one, and my Nismo filter was looking pretty beat up.

I tried to put it on just in place on my WAI, and no dice. The universal flange (75mm) made the filter about 2 inches too long. No way it was fitting. I went to pepboys for those modular piping things you can mix and match and connect.

What a waste.

Those suckers are so flimsy and brittle, i just put two pieces together and they started to crack.

Thank goodness for Big Al's. They do a lot of work for me down here, custom exhaust, lower tie bar, header, they don't mind doing custom stuff for me. So, I went there and asked, hey, can you cut off part of my WAI piping, right near the breather? They said sure. So they took two inches off from the end near the throttlebody, leaving about an inch and a half before the breather hole. I think I would have not had to remove so much, but I have that throttlebody spacer there as well, and it was just too tight.

As you can see from the pics, it was a close fit still, but after shifting the battery a smidge towards the front of the car, and towards the radiator, it JUST fit

Just for the record, everything that looks orange in the pic is actually red. It's a cameraphone, whaddaya expect?

Impressions so far? Throttle response is much smoother. WOT is actually noticeably louder, but normal driving sounds the same. I'll know in a few weeks if there's any affect in gas mileage, but i doubt it. Better growl under acceleration.