Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan/Infiniti General Discussion

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Also known as 'None'

Coach is on a distinguished road
Default Sealed, Ported, or Bandpass?

Which do you prefer? Or which is better and why?

Having been a pro audio tech for many many years, I'm biased to sealed units as the quality is usually superior. Sealed tends to be tighter and more accurate with little decrease in the low end.

In certain live events, I have needed to use a huge pair of ported subs but I could DJ a wedding reception (300-400 people) with a single pair of Mackie SRM450 active speakers ( http://www.mackie.com/products/srm450/ ). Alas, I digress as this is suppose to be about car audio.

I agree that a good ported sub can give you the boom boom that you all like but I'd rather hear each note and beat clearly. Also find that the music is for me, not for the guy in the car a block away.

Bandpass is the poor man's way to get crazy loud bass volume without breaking the bank. I find with both ported and bandpass, the bass is muddy and unclear. Rhythms tend to bleed/mash together and you lose the distinct beat most songs have.

If setup right, with a sealed sub, your trunk in effect turns into a ported sub enclosure.

Sealed is better IMHO. I've had all 3 setups and none of the other two compare to my sealed Cerwin Vega single 10" HED sub.

Discuss.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:35 AM
VTEC wont save you...

HondaKillah is on a distinguished road

I have always used sealed subwoofer enclosures,when i first started gettng into car audio,I had a bandpass enclosure.It was extremely hard to tell when you were getting distortion and to tune them right with the amp gain.I have yet to get another BP enclosure since my first car stereo,I have stuck to sealed since then.

Ported is sorta too boomy,your right as far as the note goes,but there are some ported guys who will tell you up and down that they get better sound and freq tuning with a good port length and placement.

2008 Pikes Peak White Nissan 350z 6 Speed Manual - Daily - Stock
2002 Aspen White Pearl Infiniti G20 5 speed Manual - Stock - Sold
1999 Platinum Nissan Sentra SE 5 speed Manual - I/H/ECU - Sold

1999 Titanium Frost Altima GXE 5 speed Manual - I/H/E/ - Sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:54 PM
§Ê-Ŗ ƒ®ËÅk

nismos14 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to nismos14

I've run bandpass sealed and ported. I hate bandpass (this was aroughly 12 years ago that I ran a bandpass). I liked ported (when done right, tuned low and properly setup will sound extremely clean and gain alot in output with the same power as a sealed box). My personal preference though is sealed, can handle more power and sound great doing it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Sassan

great topic!
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 AM

zadeluca is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to zadeluca

i cant contribute that much because i 100% agree with everything coach said in the first post
Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 AM

Specboy is on a distinguished road

Anoher agreement with the OP. My PReference is Sealed because of the accuracy. I'd rather have less bass and more accuracy on the note than more bass. It really depends on what the individual is looking for. Ported is great for rap where it's less about the note/tone and more about the beat. Techno/Electronic, jass, classical need accuracy that's just not realistically possible with a ported box. Bandpass is kind of the middle ground but is primarily used to take up trunk space. it can handle jazz or techno alot better but still gives the opportunity to punch out the beat nice and hard. but one must remember. this is not without tuning. you can't expect a bandpass box to just work for everything without making changes to your stereo or amp's configuration.

just my humble opinion. My background isn't pro car stereos but just doing my own installs and installs in family/friends cars. my next task will be to install 1 or 2 10" kappa subs and either a kappa 5 channel or Kenwood 4 channel amp into my altima. (leftovers from my Integra before trading)

~SB
Former/Current Cars: '86 Prelude Si. 2.0 | '93 Integra GS | '98 Civic EX | '00 Integra GS-R | '06 Ridgeline RTS

Old 03-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Squirrel Czar

ManicSquirrel will become famous soon enoughManicSquirrel will become famous soon enough
Garage

my first enclosure was bandpass, never got one again, sealed only for me now. I found the bandpass worked ok in a hatchback where it is in the car with you, or if you can't afford a powerful sub/amp combo it will give you more kick, but in the trunk it's gotta be a sealed enclosure, the sealed enclosures are just more accurate as noted above. I currently have a Rockford Fosgate HE1 12" in a sealed enclosure and a Rockford amp just sitting in my closet now, great sub, but i don't feel like rattling another car apart

2007 3.5SL (with tech package) Radiant Silver : Nismo cat-back : Injen WAI : 35% tint : 19" x 8.5" Enkei RP03's/Bridgestone RE050A 245/40-19 : Eibach Pro-Kit Springs: PIAA plasma ion yellow fogs : stealth turn signal bulbs
Old 03-12-2008, 12:44 PM
§Ê-Ŗ ƒ®ËÅk

Again, ported enclosures can be fine, and just as accurate as sealed enclosure. The key is low tuning around 30hz, and the advantage is less power needed to reach full excursion.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Squirrel Czar

ManicSquirrel will become famous soon enoughManicSquirrel will become famous soon enough
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismos14 View Post
Again, ported enclosures can be fine, and just as accurate as sealed enclosure. The key is low tuning around 30hz, and the advantage is less power needed to reach full excursion.
agreed, i have heard some that were tuned correctly(ported), but no go on bandpass, it's almost like it muffles the sound and makes the bass very muddy
Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
§Ê-Ŗ ƒ®ËÅk

Ya bandpass's take small frequency widths like 50-100 and emphasize them, leaving alot of room for boominess. Now a PROPERLY setup bandpass can get insanely loud, and as long as its properly tuned and built will/can sound phenomenal. The majority of bandpass's though sound like horse manure.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Squirrel Czar

Garage

Quote:
Ya bandpass's take small frequency widths like 50-100 and emphasize them, leaving alot of room for boominess. Now a PROPERLY setup bandpass can get insanely loud, and as long as its properly tuned and built will/can sound phenomenal. The majority of bandpass's though sound like horse manure.
yeah, and most people don't bother to set things up properly, they just get power, box, sub, throw it in and make it sounds as loud as they can, i'd rather hear the music....though in my caddy I still had the bose head unit hooked up in the trunk so it would turn on the amps for the regular spakers (it was weird how that thing was wired), that way I had my alpine in the dash, Bose in the trunk, then the steering wheel controls still functioned, but only effected the normal speakers, so they could be turned down all the way, and the alpine could be turned up with just the sub running....that was some trippy shit..
Old 03-12-2008, 04:08 PM
§Ê-Ŗ ƒ®ËÅk

^Haha the wonderful world of BLOSE!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Squirrel Czar

Garage

Quote:
^Haha the wonderful world of BLOSE!
I actually like the Bose in my altima now, I don't really need much more than what I get out of it, I listen to the engine most of the time anyways

I would consider adding the sub to the factory system, but it was last time, but then again I was also changing out the HU then, but if I don't I might just try and sell the old setup for cheap, someone could get some good use out of it
Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 AM
How now brown cow?

Thajones is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Thajones

Next go around, I'd go sealed, right now I'm running a square kicker with a box tuned specifically for it, and it does just fine. It's all relative, because it's hard to get a good listening environment in your car to begin with, especially once you're modding the intake/exhaust and stuff like that.

Redneck rite of passage
Old 03-13-2008, 09:09 AM
§Ê-Ŗ ƒ®ËÅk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSquirrel View Post
I actually like the Bose in my altima now, I don't really need much more than what I get out of it, I listen to the engine most of the time anyways

I would consider adding the sub to the factory system, but it was last time, but then again I was also changing out the HU then, but if I don't I might just try and sell the old setup for cheap, someone could get some good use out of it
What amp is it? If its a nice old school one I might be interested ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thajones View Post
Next go around, I'd go sealed, right now I'm running a square kicker with a box tuned specifically for it, and it does just fine. It's all relative, because it's hard to get a good listening environment in your car to begin with, especially once you're modding the intake/exhaust and stuff like that.
Lots and lots of deadening can help, but I agree to an extent.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Squirrel Czar

Garage

Quote:
What amp is it? If its a nice old school one I might be interested ;)
it's a 2 channel 200W rockford fosgate, It tested at about 266W max, and it matched up really well with the HE1 sub, it was a good setup. If i had a more powerful sub though I would have put out the extra money for a phoenix gold amp, those are incredible, though the rockford never failed me either
Old 03-13-2008, 01:25 PM
§Ê-Ŗ ƒ®ËÅk

haha boy how things change in 10-15 years huh?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Squirrel Czar

Garage

well, 15 years ago I was 8, so no thought of subs and amps back then, and now I just don't feel the need to rumble the crap out of everything, but that may change again one day
Old 03-13-2008, 03:05 PM
§Ê-Ŗ ƒ®ËÅk

You can always do a sub setup that provides the low end without shaking the entire car, and without the car next door looking at you funny.

IE:

Last edited by nismos14; 03-13-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:18 PM

Specboy is on a distinguished road

I had (2) 10" kappa Free-Air subs in my integra (under a Self-built raised floor) and they provided a nice low frequency without the pounding. I also had kappa components in the front & rear and the sound quality was really quite good. I plan on putting one or both of the subs in my Altima and possibly the components as well. If not, they'll go in the Ridgeline or my brother's 91 civic Si if i can get him to give it to me.

~SB