Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan/Infiniti General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Sassan
Default QX4 not starting

I bought a new battery in March 07.

Here we are now, Nov 08, and the car has been having a hard time starting sometimes, and sometimes it fires right up. I was thinking, maybe the starter, maybe the battery. My wife went to use the car a couple of weeks ago and didn't realize it was on and tried to start it, so thats why I am thinking the starter may have been damaged.

Took the battery to Advanced and they checked it, and the battery tested bad, so I got a new one under warranty. That in itself, is a bit concerning because why did the battery go bad after just a 18 months after being installed....hoping it is because of manufacturer defect.

Put in the new battery, and the car would not start for nothing. FINALLY got it started, drove for a few minutes, came home and parked it, then tried starting it 10 times in a row, and each time, no issue.

Starter bad?

I still have a check engine light on, but nobody knows what the code means, not even the Infiniti dealers. I think its an O2 sensor because its related to emissions, and it comes and goes.

Thoughts please.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 PM

sergey85 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sergey85

what year is this qx4??? when u try to start it does it make a clicking noise??if so its most lickly the starter. your battery can drain if u have it in the on position. check your connections to the battery make sure the connections dont have corrosion on them and the terminals are clean and the connectors are secured tight.Infiniti Engine Code Decoder when u try to strat or even turn the key does your radio and lights work??

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black | Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|Fibre Customs EyeLids | PIAA White Fogs | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |CATTMAN RSB| ebay FSTB | NWP VIAS Block Plate |

not installed:
Phenolic Thermal Intake Manifold Spacer Kit | 07 350z rims (needs tires)| OEM spoiler(paint)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:25 PM
yay

QR has a spectacular aura aboutQR has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to QR

i think its time to get a QX56

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all

^loan me the money ho

No clicking noise. NEVER hear the starter when turning the car over.

Connections are fine, terminals and wiring is clean.

Code is P1466. Good luck finding it anywhere. Even the dealers have no clue what it is.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 PM

Special has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial has a spectacular aura about
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Special Send a message via AIM to Special Send a message via MSN to Special Send a message via Yahoo to Special

P1466 Heated Catalyst Power Switch Temperature Sensor Plausibility

OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Trouble Codes - P1400 - P1499

Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 AM

check out this site Knowledgebase - 2002 QX4 - Infinitihelp.com download the engine control section and u should find info on your code
Old 11-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
P1466 Heated Catalyst Power Switch Temperature Sensor Plausibility

OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Trouble Codes - P1400 - P1499

Sweet....now translate, wtf is that?

And are the codes the same for all cars? On the second list, it shows that it is for BMWs.....
Old 11-19-2008, 03:11 PM

dude check out the link i gave u its a service manual it will have detailed info for u, any code with a 1 after the P is code that is only for that model, so u have to look at the infiniti one
Old 11-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Admin

^I did that long ago....and the code does not show.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Moderatin your moms!

Asleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
Visit Asleep's Facebook Visit Asleep's YouTube

is the battery a higher than normal cold cranking amps battery?
some high cca batteries have very thin plates that crack and short each other out, effectively killing a relatively new battery.
i cant see it being the starter unless theres condensation inside the housing. auto zone can test the battery on the vehicle. might want to try that.

RIP Elisa Lupe Katayama Dec 22 1953 - Dec 24 2008
Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Live Fast-Drive Harder

phenom78 is on a distinguished road

my last car did this where it wouldn't even turn over. But it was an impala lol not a nissan. It would only happen in the rain or when it was wet out. But otherwise no issues/fix of the problem.....that i remember.

8k Headlights
18 in G35 rims
Strobes in front and Rear
Painted Tails"LED Design 4 Turns"
Aftermarket Fogs"Daytime Running Lights"
Old 11-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asleep View Post
is the battery a higher than normal cold cranking amps battery?
some high cca batteries have very thin plates that crack and short each other out, effectively killing a relatively new battery.
i cant see it being the starter unless theres condensation inside the housing. auto zone can test the battery on the vehicle. might want to try that.
The battery is slightly larger than what the stock is. Like 25 or 50 CCA bigger....not much.

Last week, took the battery in, and they gave me a new one.

Last night, same thing again, car wouldn't start. I tried it a few times, and got it fired up.

Today, it will not start AT ALL. My logic is this.....battery, alternator, starter....so I checked the connections on the battery and all the fuses, everything is fine. Everything powers up too, and I know it takes more to start a car, but still, just checked that. Since that didn't work, tried to jump the car....figured if it is the battery, jumping it would get it started at least. That didn't work.

The only thing I have not checked yet is the starter, cuz I can't find it.

Is my thinking correct?
Old 11-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Moderatin your moms!

Asleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
Visit Asleep's Facebook Visit Asleep's YouTube

yeah i usually check the battery, then the connections and then the starter. i dont usually check alternator unless i have a running problem where the battery wont stay charged. i think your starter needs to be checked. try this - get a pry bar or something metallic and smack the starter the next time (or this time) that it wont start. if it does indeed start, the starter is bad internally.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Admin

I can't even find the damn starter on this thing.

Anyways, took the car to the dealer today. Couple of things....

1. The starting problem, they could not replicate it. They are keeping the car tonight to see if it happens in the morning. Battery, alternator, and starter all tested fine under load testing, so they are baffled too.

2. The engine light, it is an emissions problem. Gonna be $550+ to change the charcoal canister by the fuel tank. I can leave it as is, but eventually its gonna cause more problems, so I told them to go ahead and change it now.

3. All the belts in the engine need changed....$160. Screw it, go ahead and change it, because if I take it elsewhere, the difference is gonna be $30-40. Whatever. My time is more valuable than that.

4. My ventilation system, it runs either all the way hot or all the way cold. Bad air sensor....$250. Change it, its gonna have be changed anyways, and it drives me nuts in the spring and fall cuz I either burn up or freeze.

5. The 4WD, it either runs in 4WD or 2WD, and when you set it in Auto mode, it chooses 4WD all the time. Need a new transfer case, $3000. Dude said "Man, if you have been driving it like this the entire time, don't spend the money cuz its not gonna get worse. It is what it is."

6. Antenna mast has been broken since I got the car. It was supposed to be a $100 fix, but it needs a new motor too....$350. Screw that...I listen to CDs anyways, lol.

So far, up to almost $1000 in repairs, but honestly, this is the first time in 2 years I have had to do any major repairs on this car. I changed tires a couple of months ago, and other than oil, thats about it. I am gonna call them tomorrow and tell them to do the fuel filter too, just to get it over with. Fuck it.

The main issue remains unresolved though. Hopefully in the morning, it doesn't start and they find the issue.

On the plus side, I am enjoying the G35x they gave me as a loaner. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Impressive car!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Admin

And of course, the check engine light came back on yesterday afternoon.....taking it back to the dealer today.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:32 PM

dang what code is it now??
Old 12-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Admin

Rear O2 sensors....add $687 to the bill. The ECM needs reflashed and updated after they do this latest step. *sigh*
Old 12-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Admin

Got the car back today. The guy that dealt with me, Nick, very cool guy....did a nice job.

The price hurt the pocketbook badly, but the car runs smooth and life is good again.

I did enjoy the G35x in the meantime.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 AM

nice is that what u got as a rental? i drove it a lil real nice aint it
Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Admin

It was the loaner car they gave me while they fixed mine.