Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > VEHICLE TECHNICAL DISCUSSION > Nissan Altima Technical Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 PM

NISSAN_ALTY001 is on a distinguished road
Default Seat swap

I wanna swap out my leather seats with airbags to cloth seats. Now my question is do I need to have the cloth seats I wanna swap in have to have airbags as well? If so is there a way to trick the computer into thinking the bags are there so the rest of the bags would deploy if I were to crash? I called a bunch of Nissan dealers and got mixed answers. I also wouldn't want the airbag light to remain on always if I were to not have the seats with airbags that's why I ask if there's a trick to fool the computer.
If you need any additional information let me know I tried to be short and to the point.
Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:30 AM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

To make things easy you would need your new seats to have airbags.
The airbag system needs to see all of the bags and sensors or it will illuminate the dash 'air bag' light and it will not turn it of until the systems passes its internal check at start up.

You may be able to fool the computer but that would involve making an end that would have the same impedance as an airbag assembly.
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2013, 07:34 AM

NISSAN_ALTY001 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much that I would need to have the new seats have airbags. I was hoping to find a way to fool the system but seems that it's much easier to just have the bags and call it a day.
Would not having that one bag in the seat and the light on cause the other bags not to deploy in a crash? I heard yes and I heard no on this as well. Nissan told me they're independent and in a crash not always do all the bags go off so it shouldn't make the others malfunction.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 AM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think that having the light on disables all the air bags it just indicates an error in the system.
In your case the error would be that the seat air bags would not deploy since there are no air bags.

The only way that I could see where the entire system would be compromised is if one of the main crash sensors was bad or damaged so that the air bag computer never got the correct signals to fire.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 AM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sassan

Can a sensor be hooked up to say the airbag is connected even though one isn't?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:49 PM
You Big Dummy!

If you remove the seat you lose the airbag itself and that will cause the airbag light to stay on.

I don't think the side impact sensor is in the seat itself but rather it's in the body of the car somewhere in the B pillar most likely.

Years ago, I worked in a place that made crash sensors for air bags.
I was in charge of the line that did the first part of the assembly.
The way the airbag systems worked then was you had two sensors up front and one under the dash.
A combination of at least any two sensors firing would deploy the airbags.
When side airbags started to come out they added sensors to the sides of the cars along with another sensor under the dash for the second sensor.

Things may have changed since then but that is how it was years ago.
I'm sure the concepts are the same.