Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan Altima Technical Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Moderatin your moms!

Asleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
Visit Asleep's Facebook Visit Asleep's YouTube
Default Idling issues

was gonna post this is in the turbo section but its general enough for this section.
made a weak ass egr block off plate for my altima and i think its part of the problem.
when the engine is cold, it idles just fine. starts with the usual high idle and then comes down to normal. problem is, once its at operating temperature, it wont stay idling. noticed that theres a bunch of carbon/soot on the sides of the egr plate so i know its flexing under boost.
my question is, would the plate cause an idle problem?
in my estimation, the plate leaking would be the same as pushing up on the diaphragm on an egr valve. thats about what it feels like.
the engine feels fine other wise. no missing, no running problems. under boost its nice and strong. just when its warmed up and at an idle...

RIP Elisa Lupe Katayama Dec 22 1953 - Dec 24 2008
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:52 AM

zadeluca is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to zadeluca

i would think that if it were in fact leaking, you would have driveability issues - that would be akin to having EGR running during acceleration, which does not happen. hmm...

what about the vacuum line you pulled from the EGR valve? is it plugged properly?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Trying to be a Member

jserrano is on a distinguished road

Throw some propane gas (or spray carb cleaner) at it and see if the idle changes. If you cannot actually "feel" the idle change then monitor the O2 sensor for rich swings, just to be sure.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Moderatin your moms!

Asleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the roughAsleep is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Asleep Send a message via Yahoo to Asleep
Visit Asleep's Facebook Visit Asleep's YouTube

well, there arent any leaks. at least, not with the plate anymore. the egr valve base that i used fixed that problem.
might have fixed the idle problem as well.
there was a small metal tube on the back of the tb that was wide open. at idle, it wasnt pulling vacuum, but when you revved the engine, it would momentarily blow as the turbo spooled and then would suck as engine speed decreased. plugged it up and lo and behold, the iacv worked again and i was able to adjust my idle. now its sitting at a solid 800 rpm and running well. the test will be tomorrow when i take it to work.