Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan Altima Technical Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
The goggles do nothing

RIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really nice
Garage
Default Looks like Timing Chain Tensioners: RPM related Whine - VIDS

Figured it'e been a while since a thread was up here, so I thought I would throw this up. This weekend I noticed a high-pitch whine, RPM based as the thread title says. Shit is worrying me a bit as through some research I am pretty sure it's the dreaded timing chain tensioner issue (TSB NTB07-042c)

Got some vids - but you may have to turn it up. First vid is last night with my phone. The mic is ultra sensitive so there is a lot of background noise - but you can hear the whine.

Second vid is this morning with the camera, the point when I put the camera under the car is the best place (0:15) in that vid to hear it.

Obviously vids don't do it justice, but it's better than 90% of the noise issue threads here (folks try to verbally describe the noise "WHHHEEEEEEEEOOOOEEEEE")

Vid 1:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Vid 2:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

That sucks.
Changing that tensioner is going to be a bitch.
I had that whole side of the motor stripped off to change the thermostat, belts, belt tension idler and hoses.
It will not be easy to get in there and good luck getting the little covers off the tensioner and the water pump.
I was afraid I'd destroy the covers if I tried to remove them so I left them alone.
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:46 PM
The goggles do nothing

RIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really nice
Garage

Yep sucks big time. Considering I'm in for $1200 with plugs, tires and the brakes (thank god I did the brakes myself), over the past month or so.

Ain't afraid to admit I won't be doing this one on my own. Stealership wants $1200, I am going to take it to my mech to see how much he's going to rape me (he's honest but I know the jobs a bitch). I hear I can at least drive it for a while like this though.

Gotta do it it's cheaper than a whole new car loan..

Sent from my WhoGivesAFuckPhone using Tapatalk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

You're right, keeping the old dog running is still better than laying out the cash for a new car.
I haven't had a car payment for 8 years and I am in no hurry to have another one but I know the time will come soon enough.
My car still looks great inside and out but it has 144K now so I know I'll have to start putting money into it here and there.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:53 PM
The original black Elvis.

Blacktop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blacktop

How many miles on your car Riza?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
The goggles do nothing

Garage

Hey man....long time Blacktop...How's it going? I just passed 110,000 this past weekend...

Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 AM
The original black Elvis.

Blacktop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Blacktop

Hey man, I'm good. How's the job market down there, still looking slim? Things have been stable (but still shitty) up here. I just hit 108k on my 2002 so I'm wondering what's going to go on me. My car's been really good since the first few quirks when I bought it, so I've been really lucky for 60k miles or so. Goddam cricket chirp though for the last 50k... must be the throwout bearing or something, but it hasn't gone out so I'm crossing my fingers on that one.
Gotta love this Altima
Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 AM

Magoo will become famous soon enoughMagoo will become famous soon enough

Which car is this again?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:04 AM
The goggles do nothing

Garage

^3rd gen (L31) 3.5L Altima.

@Blacktop: jobs down here still slim...Housing still down...Got my P.G. recently (Florida Professional Geologist) so maybe that'll help.

Yep...As Carfreak says more necessary maintenance is going to rear its ugly head as these things age. I still have faith in the car though - they're one of Nissan's most underrated creations IMO. I love it.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:22 PM

Jacarter220 is on a distinguished road

Replacing the secondary tensioners is not necessarily hard, but it is time consuming. If you unbolt the motor mount, you can take the entire front cover off. You're better off replacing all tensioner a and guides while you're in there. By the way, if you're having trouble getting the front cover to slide out once its unbolted, try unbolting the vtc cover off the rear bank on the cover. That should give enough clearance to slide the cover out