Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan Altima Technical Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 02:16 AM

awdken is on a distinguished road
Default Stop lights not working when car is on

Hey guys, I'm new to the Altima scene; I recently bought an '08 2.5S sedan. The thing is, I recently noticed that my stop lights stop working once the car is on.

I ran a few experiments to try to isolate the issue and this is what i've noticed:
when I first get into the car, i can depress the brakes and the lights will come on, both the tail lights and the stop lights will work. When i hit the start button once (with depressing brake), they both still work, when depress the brakes and hit the start button and start the car, the stop lights stop working; the tail lights will still work if I turn my headlights on but the stop lamps never come on again.

I tried just pressing the start button through ACC and ON position without depressing the brake pedal and noticed that at ACC, the stop lights still come on, once I cycle to ON, they will no longer work. The only way to get them to turn on again is to press the start button all the way to OFF, open the door, close it and then press the brake pedal (but again it only works while the car is off).

I recently purchased an R35 starter button. I installed it AFTER having performed all these experiments in hopes that it would help--it has not, it looks nice, but did not change anything.

I went to the dealer and they wanted $50+ for the brake switch (which I considered buying, figuring it might the culprit) and $96 for a diagnostic--to start, additional diagnosing may be necessary said the Nissan tech.

Now, before shelling out what will probably be upwards of $200 to fix this, I thought I'd give this forum a try, hopefully some one out there has come across a similar issue or knows exactly what is going on.

Sorry for the long-winded dissertation but the whole reason I bought this car was because I was tired of my '92 Talon TSi AWD giving me problems. I wanted a daily driver that was a lot newer and free from maintenance issues!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
ken
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2011, 04:56 AM
Admin

Sassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to allSassan is a name known to all
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Sassan

On the first gen Altys, a lot of people would blow either a fuse or bulbs. The culprit? Lose ground connection on the taillight. Try tightening down the screw first and see what happens.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 PM

Superpug is on a distinguished road
Garage

Had a similar problem with my 08. Stopped for dinner one night and couldn't get it started again. It took forever but finally got home. Next day no problem, then my wife said my brake lights didn't light up, then had the same problem again later in the day. I did some research and narrowed it to the brake light switch. I went to my Nissan dealer and bought one for about $35. Literally took me 2 minutes to install it. No tools needed, just push in and twist, un-clip and reverse the steps. I'd bet $5 that's it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:06 AM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

You can easily test the brake light switch yourself and determine if it's bad or not.
Just pop it out and use a multi-meter to see if the contacts are working.
Place one lead on each lead coming from the switch and see if you get a direct short when the switch is activated.
The switch is activated when the plunger is out and should be 'off' when the plunger is pushed in.

If that isn't it then I would say that you have a Body Control Module issue.
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:12 AM

Jacarter220 is on a distinguished road

Put a brake switch in it. I've literally seen dozens of them fail. It's about 50 bucks and pretty simple to change. And superpug, I'd be willing to bet $50!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 AM

Douglascarter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdken View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the Altima scene; I recently bought an '08 2.5S sedan. The thing is, I recently noticed that my stop lights stop working once the car is on.

I ran a few experiments to try to isolate the issue and this is what i've noticed:
when I first get into the car, i can depress the brakes and the lights will come on, both the tail lights and the
visit this stop lights will work. When i hit the start button once (with depressing brake), they both still work, when depress the brakes and hit the start button and start the car, the stop lights stop working; the tail lights will still work if I turn my headlights on but the stop lamps never come on again.

I tried just pressing the start button through ACC and ON position without depressing the brake pedal and noticed that at ACC, the stop lights still come on, once I cycle to ON, they will no longer work. The only way to get them to turn on again is to press the start button all the way to OFF, open the door, close it and then press the brake pedal (but again it only works while the car is off).

I recently purchased an R35 starter button. I installed it AFTER having performed all these experiments in hopes that it would help--it has not, it looks nice, but did not change anything.

I went to the dealer and they wanted $50+ for the brake switch (which I considered buying, figuring it might the culprit) and $96 for a diagnostic--to start, additional diagnosing may be necessary said the Nissan tech.

Now, before shelling out what will probably be upwards of $200 to fix this, I thought I'd give this forum a try, hopefully some one out there has come across a similar issue or knows exactly what is going on.

Sorry for the long-winded dissertation but the whole reason I bought this car was because I was tired of my '92 Talon TSi AWD giving me problems. I wanted a daily driver that was a lot newer and free from maintenance issues!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
ken
Have you checked battery connections?