Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan Altima Technical Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 03:43 AM

AK53077 is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 Altima 3.5SE Noise Problem Please Help

Hi I have a 02 Altima 3.5 SE and lately there's a whining buzzing noise that I can't really explain but it sounds like it's coming from the valve or the timing chain my altima got 138K. Anyone got this problem before? Is it time to replace my timing chain and also how long does the timing chain suppose to last and how much does it cost to replace the chain?

Thanks for your time
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda Sucks

wild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nice

Not being able to hear the sound, tought to diagnose. Can you post a sound clip? Take it to a mechanic and ask him to listen and give you an opinion. And, Oh,,,it's not cheap to replace a timing chain on a VQ
04 Honda Oddy (POS)-GONE!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 PM

AK53077 is on a distinguished road

it makes the noise when I step on the gas and when I let go the noise stops.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:13 PM
F U R Y!!!!!!!!

Godzilla-san is on a distinguished road

I'm almost sure that it's time for a new timing chain guide.
As Willy said, it's not cheap
Old 07-31-2011, 09:33 AM
The goggles do nothing

RIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really niceRIZAMAN is just really nice
Garage

^ you mean the timing chain tensioners right? They are indeed prone to go. Can't wait for mine to start acting up.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2011, 12:54 PM

Z_ealot is on a distinguished road
Garage

according to a nissan tech that i spoke to about this exact issue before when i had my 05 altima 3.5 the timing chain and tensioners are only rated to last till 100k miles and need to be replaced at that point so seeing as you are at 138k i would say it is well past time to have them changed. I was quoted for the parts alone at $600 from nissan themselves with about $300 in labor, not a cheap part of the maintenance but has to be done regardless.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:38 PM

Jacarter220 is on a distinguished road

To answer your question, you technically should never have to replace a chain. Secondary timing chain tensioners on the 3.5 liter engines are VERY common to cause a whine noise. The plastic guide on the tensioner wears through, and the chain rides on the metal plunger that applies tension. The metal on metal is what causes the whine noise. If you have a whine noise that increases with engine rpm, I guarantee this is your problem. Problem is, a dealership is going to charge somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 hours labor... It really is a job that can take an entire day to complete.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM

Jacarter220 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_ealot View Post
according to a nissan tech that i spoke to about this exact issue before when i had my 05 altima 3.5 the timing chain and tensioners are only rated to last till 100k miles and need to be replaced at that point so seeing as you are at 138k i would say it is well past time to have them changed. I was quoted for the parts alone at $600 from nissan themselves with about $300 in labor, not a cheap part of the maintenance but has to be done regardless.
Someone's pulling your leg bud... About 100 dollars in parts and about 1000 dollars in labor... And they are not "rated" to 100,000. You should technically never have to change them. It's a problem with this particular part. Happens in 4.0L engines too. Funny thing is, it only happens in the ones made here in the states. I've never seen one have this problem that was produced on Japan.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 AM

Z_ealot is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacarter220 View Post
Someone's pulling your leg bud... About 100 dollars in parts and about 1000 dollars in labor... And they are not "rated" to 100,000. You should technically never have to change them. It's a problem with this particular part. Happens in 4.0L engines too. Funny thing is, it only happens in the ones made here in the states. I've never seen one have this problem that was produced on Japan.
forgot to mention this was back in 2007-2008, and yes i was quoted $600 in parts by multiple dealers back then...parts were not cheap for the 2005 3.5 altima i had back then...heck i had to spend nearly a grand to get the drivers side axle replaced due to the cv boot springing a leak and causing the cv joint to run dry and tear up the joint itself. not even kidding the drivers side axle alone was $600 direct from nissan.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 AM

briando is on a distinguished road

i keep getting really bad wind noise in the passenger side front window of my Altima. I've tried to replace the weather stripping, but still no luck, anyone else having this problem?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:58 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

Is the frame of you window bent?

I know I have a bad wind noise from the side mirrors if I am on the freeway and there is a strong cross breeze.
The wind noise can also be heard when I get anywhere north of 100.
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.