Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan Altima Technical Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 03:54 PM

1FastNissan is on a distinguished road
Default Noise from frontend when shifting 5 speed " AGRESSIVELY "

Anyone out there getting a very loud noise and wheel hop from the transaxle, left side , when reving the 2.5 5 speed to 5000 rpm and speed shifting. Do any of the 3.5 manual tranys have this problem ?
Dealer checked frontend for loose and or incomplete assemble and found nothing. Nissan Canada now looking into finding and testing another manual 2.5 to see if they can duplicate the problem.
Any thoughts on this one ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Sport-Tuned GroceryGetter

L31_06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to L31_06

from what i gather is that, you get an extra loud noise when it hits 5000 rpm and past?

if that is the case, from what i understand and what i have been told is that its when the extra valves engage and dump more fuel into the engine.

correct me if im wrong but the QR25DE shares a similar design that "v-tec" engines have in the hondas. revving that high opens up more valves allowing more fuel and air into the engine thus greater HP. that equals the small 175 BHP that the stock QR's put out.

again someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 AM
ST 38

Spike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L31_06 View Post
correct me if im wrong but the QR25DE shares a similar design that "v-tec" engines have in the hondas. revving that high opens up more valves allowing more fuel and air into the engine thus greater HP. that equals the small 175 BHP that the stock QR's put out.

again someone correct me if im wrong.
Vtec is totally different from than the butterfly valve in the QR.

Vtec is a secondary cam profile that kicks in at higher revs. This means you can have more power at the higher revs, but good economy on the lower revs. But of course, the draw back of this system of the infamous lack of torque.

As for the butterfly valve in the QR. It doesn't open all the way until you rev it to 5000RPM. The cam profile stays the same no matter what (don't get cam profile confused with variable valve timing). This is why there is a sudden change in exhaust note when you hit 5000rpm.

To the original poster. What do you mean exactly by speed shifting? Are you not using the clutch?

Cardomain

Mods:
| Apexi V2 | Hella Optilux 1180 / Prolumen 3000k | Polk DB6500 + Polk DB690 | SE- R Tails | Helios 5000k | LED interior lights | Polk Momo C400.4 | SE-R front | Racingline FSTB | Nismo Catback | SE-R Rear | AT S5 | Nismo 57F / Potenza RE01R; 245 45 18 | Redline Quicklift Elite | Hotshot header | Jihad folding mirrors | SE-R replica spoiler | Nismo RSB | Audi DRL | Tein SS w/ EDFC |

Soon: | 300zx BBK | A4 fender marker |
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Sport-Tuned GroceryGetter

L31_06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to L31_06

^ thank you!

but when you change the lift and duration, aren't you initially changing the cam profile? i.e. more aggressive cams?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:56 AM
ST 38

Spike is on a distinguished road

^Not quite. I'm not sure how to explain the mechanics of it but to give you an idea, there are tuner cams out there that are known as the vtec killers. what it does basically is permanently apply vtec no matter what rev you are at. so vtec doesn't have to "kick in". Its just there all the time. But the draw back to this of course is 18mpg on a civic and the good ol' fireworks smell of the clutch being murdered.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:01 AM

Jacarter220 is on a distinguished road

Lift and duration are not changing. The cams are advancing.