Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan Altima Technical Discussion
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 09:14 PM

Rys2k8Altima is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Rys2k8Altima
Default Official HID Thread: Questions and Pictures HERE

Here is that start of what should be the OFFICIAL HID THREAD:

What is and HID Light

Quote:
High-intensity discharge (HID) lamps are electrical lamps producing light by means of an electric arc between tungsten electrodes housed inside a translucent or transparent fused quartz or fused alumina tube. This tube is filled with both gas and metal salts. The gas facilitates the arc's initial strike. Once the arc is started, it heats and evaporates the metal salts forming a plasma, which greatly increases the intensity of light produced by the arc and reduces its power consumption.

Compared with fluorescent and incandescent lamps, HID lamps have much higher efficacy: they give a greater amount of light output per watt of electricity input.

Like fluorescent lamps, HID lamps require a ballast to start and maintain their arcs. The method used to initially strike the arc varies: mercury vapor lamps and some metal halide lamps are usually started using a third electrode near one of the main electrodes while other lamp styles are usually started using pulses of high voltage.
Now that we have established that an HID Lamp is Composed of a bulb and a ballast, let the thread begin.

Here are the different color scales

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Gen 4 Altimas FTW

gatorglaze is on a distinguished road

The all might needed HID thread. Hey i saw a wiring diagram from someone installing HID's WITH a relay. Anyone throw that up because the next thing im doing is HID's along with a relay.
  • Fujita SRI
  • Stillen Headers
  • Stillen Catback Exhaust
  • Stillen Front Fascia
  • Stillen Hood Dampeners
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:56 PM

Ill get it. It was in my HID thread on Nissanclub
Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 PM

this was made by Autoconcept at Nissanclub

This diagram is to add a harness to take the load of your stock wiring.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Ticket Magnet

Jose3.5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jose3.5 Send a message via MSN to Jose3.5 Send a message via Yahoo to Jose3.5

Hello, i ArE No0b hERe.
WhEre cAn ibuy HID's n hoW can I insTAll tHem? Oh als0 wat siZe r the bULbs n h0w muCh dooS thEy coZt? ShUulD i pAyz soMEonE t0 inSTall tHem f0rS mE?:th_alc::signs042: ...

2007 Altima 3.5 SE CVT

Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 PM

Dick...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Ticket Magnet

Send a message via AIM to Jose3.5 Send a message via MSN to Jose3.5 Send a message via Yahoo to Jose3.5

Sorry my name is not Richard, it is Jose
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 PM

Lol
Old 02-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Ticket Magnet

Look on the bright side. Your thread got stickied.:th_salute:
Old 02-27-2008, 11:23 PM

RockenZ is on a distinguished road

I was going to do the same thread... but I didn't have the time to find all the stuff needed... etc... Good Job!!! hopefully if we have a sticky that SPECIFICALLY say HID, maybe... JUST MAYBE... there will be a few less threads about it!

Another idea is to get a sticky for LED Interior? seemed to come up quite a lot... but we'll see! Great Job Rys2k8Altima!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Gen 4 Altimas FTW

Somethings troubling me. The point of the relay was because HIDs were supposed to need 55w to work right and to draw power from the battery for the extra juice right? Im looking at a page right now thats McCulloch HIDs and it states 35w to power them up. Is this page wrong or is my understanding wrong?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:44 PM

The kit i have in my car is 35W. you can get either or. 55 being alot brighter, but they create more heat.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Gen 4 Altimas FTW

Gotcha. I also just found the perfect kit. Its a pair of McCulloch HID kits WITH relays and all fuses and wiring needed. Its going for...230 on ebay which is cheaper then retail price of McCulloch's witch is around 280 WITHOUT relays. Looks like i know what im buying with my next paycheck. Still not sure 6000 or 5300k. I like the blue but i dont want to attract attention. Also from what ive read, the lights themselves kinda fade a bit after a certain period of time, don't know if theres any truth to it but then that would make the 6000k a bit LESS blue overtime which would work out great for me. If they only had a 5700k or something for the same price + same company.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:49 PM
yay

QR has a spectacular aura aboutQR has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to QR

i will have a diagram of how temp on kelvin relates to color and output in just a sec ;)

Old 02-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Ticket Magnet

This is what my 6000k look like

Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Not an unregistered user

The Rupp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys2k8Altima View Post
this was made by Autoconcept at Nissanclub

This diagram is to add a harness to take the load of your stock wiring.
Also, this helps with the bulbs not firing up when set to "Auto"
Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 AM
yay

QR has a spectacular aura aboutQR has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to QR

so what do these #'s mean?
well first off the k symbol means degrees kelvin
visible light ranges between 1000k-10000k anything below 1000k is infrared then microwave then radio (yes radio is light) and anything beyond 10000k is UV, then X-Ray then Gamma. all are dangerous to the human body and is blocked by the Ozone layer.

Now if a bulb was rated at 2500k, that means its peak temperature is 2500k, however, it also emits other lights from radio to gamma but in very small traces.

the best bulb temperature of bulb for light output is 5000k. 5000k is in the middle of the visible electromagnetic spectrum as seen in the figure below

the blue in the middle of the blackbody diagram (which was made using paint) represents the amount of visible light outputted. you could see from the diagram that its emitting other lights but in a small quanity.

Now if you though bluish purple was cool, you might want to think again

this is a blackbody diagram of a 10000k bulb. Note that the wave this time is higher, thats because the higher the kelvin the higher the higher the amplitude.
as you see the 10000k bulb is hardly emitting any visable light. however its emitting alot of UV rays which are dangerous to humans. and this is one of the reasons why its illegal

now the next diagram is going to show you a more dangerous light

Note how low light emitting is. and also take a note of how much X-rays and gamma rays its producing. it's like having a spot light of radiation aimed at you.

the following diagram is of a very rare bulb but available on the market.

its basically pink. its pointless, even though you will get more output than a 10000k you wont be emitting any dangerous light rays. also note how low the wave is. Again the lower the kelvin temparature the lower the wave.

Now basically you are safe between 3000k and 6000k. but you might be hassled by the law if they see the 3000k
Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 AM

Heres My 8000k bulbs

Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Gen 4 Altimas FTW

Just purchased 6000K McCulloch HID kit WITH relays and fuses included for 260 WITH priority shipping. Gotta finding decent deals.

Oh and Rys2k8Altima, your lights are BLUE right? I can't really tell from the pictures, but in your opinion is it a HINT of blue or more closer to blue?

Last edited by gatorglaze; 02-28-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM

i guess I would say they are blue ish. I got my kit for 125 w/o the harness
Closed Thread