Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Introduce Yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 05:25 AM

lou24de is on a distinguished road
Default new here

Hello crew.

Im about to buy an 99 altima with a 5 speed convention, and the car is not reading the speedometer right. What will this be?
Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 PM

Magoo will become famous soon enoughMagoo will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the site. I'm not sure of the answer but I'm interested as well. Post up more information about the car, those things last forever.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:49 AM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

With the trans swap there are a few things that could have been skipped or missed.
You'll need to make sure the speedo sensor is the right one for a manual and you'll need to make sure everything is properly connected.
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the response Friday in the morning I will pick it up and go from there. I will post more info later.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:02 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

Cool, keep us posted.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:18 AM

Well so far the speedo according to the previous owner is due to a bad sensor and I had to get the exhaust system fix because he had it tied with wire hanger. Now I need to fix the temp reader but I have no clue where to start.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:12 PM
You Big Dummy!

Do you have access to an OBDII scanner?
If you do, you can plug it in and see if the ECU is reading any temp data from the sensor.
If you don't see any temp reading then it's a good bet that you have a bad sensor or possibly bad wiring to the sensor.
If you see a temp reading then you most likely have a bad gauge or bad wiring going to the gauge.

If you don't have access to a reader then you can remove the sensor and test it with hot water and a voltmeter.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Thank you I will to do with the hot water method cus I dont have the scanner.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 PM
You Big Dummy!

The resistance should change with the rise and fall of the temperature.

For an inexpensive way to have scanner capabilities you could always buy a blue tooth adapter and then download the free version of Torque for your Android device and you'll have almost complete scanner functionality.

The blue tooth unit I use when I don't want to drag out my dedicated scanner is this one.
Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 AM

Judt ordered one from amazon and the temperature gauge problem is the cable from the sensor is broken. Thanks for the imput guys

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM
You Big Dummy!

Just make sure that you get the wiring matched up properly and keep us posted if you have any issues getting the blue tooth adapter working with the Torque app.