Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS.NET COMMUNITY > Introduce Yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 03:07 AM

King is on a distinguished road
Default Hey there!

Hey there, the name's King.

I am from Michigan and as of now, I am looking into Altima's. Haven't really driven one, but I am looking for something foreign that's not too bad on gas, not too ugly looking, and has some decent power. It looks like the Altima could be it.

As of now, my current car a 2000 Grand Prix GTP coupe. Love the supercharger, but I've already had to replace the engine twice, so I plan on selling it in the near future.

Any help, any advice, common problems with Altimas would be of great help. Is there a noob thread to start reading or something? I am still not 100% set on getting on Altima, but I sure would like one.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:11 AM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the board.

What year Altima are you looking at getting?
Since you have a forced induction motor now are you leaning more towards the 3.5 over the 2.5?
"People shouldn't be so scared about this virus from Africa. He only has two more years of his presidency.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 PM

I was looking at the 02-06 model Altima's, though the 07-08 look similar, any differences?

I was at first looking at the 2.5 since I wanted something that was a little more fuel efficient, didn't know they made Altimas with the 3.5 those years until I seen one on craigslist with one, so that changed my mind.

A 3.5 liter engine making 250 hp is pretty nice, especially when my Supercharged car only makes 240 hp. Yes, it's an older engine but still, that 250 hp AND with no forced induction definitely has me sold, assuming I can get one at a good price.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM
You Big Dummy!

carfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfreak67 is a glorious beacon of light

The 3rd gen Altimas go from 02-06 and there were quite a few changes for the 4th gen starting in 07.
I have a 02 SE 3.5 that I bought new and has been relatively trouble free.

When I was looking at the Altimas in late 01 I was set on getting a 2.5 until I drove the 3.5. After that first test drive I never looked at another 2.5.
The 3.5 doesn't get horrible mileage but it isn't great, either.
Much better on the highway than around town.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:36 PM

I am not usually on the highway much, but the lower gas mileage won't be a problem as long as the car doesn't break down on me.

I was reading however that the timing chain and/or the tensioner go out at around 100k miles? How expensive of a fix is that usually just so I know what I am dealing with?

Are there other common problems I should know about?

Any threads between the differences of the 02-06 and the 07-08? Which would you recommend?

I know I am asking a lot of question, but I am new to the Nissan platform as a whole, so I don;t know much.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Honda Sucks

wild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nicewild willy is just really nice

it is a very expensive repair. I had an 02 and loved it.....Have a 2012 now and........lets just say I wanmt my 02 back.......but it is totaled................

Three letter to stay as far away from as you can CVT.......it is horrid
04 Honda Oddy (POS)-GONE!!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM

Isn't that their Automatic transmission?

That's what I was planning since I can't drive a Manual.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:40 PM
You Big Dummy!

Yes, all new Nissan autos are of the CVT variety.
The new ones are supposed to be much better than the previous ones but I have not driven either one.

My 02 has 144K miles on it and I have had no issues at all with the timing chain tensioner.
The VQs that had the problems were the 04-06 if I remember correctly.

Look for leaky valve covers on the early 3rd gens. The leaks can be solved by using 05-06 valve covers, though.
Weak MAF sensors are a perennial problem with the 02-04 so be careful to not over oil the element if you want to run an oiled filter element on a CAI or WAI.

Stock rotors are garbage, buy an aftermarket set and you'll never have any issues with them.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 AM

That really helps me out, thanks a lot.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Bow down

Nismom has a spectacular aura aboutNismom has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Nismom Send a message via MSN to Nismom Send a message via Yahoo to Nismom
Visit Nismom's Facebook Visit Nismom's MySpace Visit Nismom's YouTube

Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the welcome

I was doing a little reading and was reading about tranny problems on the Altimas? I mean its known that the grand prixs have really weak trannies and I still haven't a problem with them. I don't want to sell the grand prix to end up moving from engine to tranny problems.

I also heard about cat failures? Oil burning, and distributor problems? Not sure if the distributor problems are on older cars.

Is there a set of after market rotors you would recommend? And one last thing for now, are parts for these cars expensive to replace usually?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 AM
You Big Dummy!

I have had a set of R1 Concepts slotted/drilled rotors on my car for about 110K miles and they have held up great with no warping and very little rust.
If I had to get another set I would get the R1 slotted rotors only because the drilled holes really aren't needed and they just reduce surface area.

I have heard of a few tranny problems here and there but mine has been great so far.
Pretty much every VQ out there uses a little oil between oil changes. Kind of the nature of the beast.
Some VQs have had issues with the pre-cats failing and getting sucked into the motor thus ruining the piston rings.
If can run headers I would recommend them just to eliminate the cats and have complete peace of mind.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:05 PM

Core2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Hey peeps

I stumbled across this site and it looks like there are some Nissan lovers on here, I have a 08 Altima 2.5SL, Black on Black, CVT and am on the verge of getting a 2012 Maxima to add to my stable. Now that the Altima is off warranty I think I may have a little fun with it. First up was looking at adding fog lights, which is how I stumbled on this site.

So I look forward to sharing some tips and learning a lot from you folks,

Cheers for Now...

A
Old 01-31-2012, 02:18 AM
You Big Dummy!

Welcome aboard.
There is plenty of knowledge on this board but not much has been posted so just ask!