Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > SUPERNISSANS COMMUNITY > Nissan Altima Technical Discussion > Frequently Asked Questions - Altima

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM
IEEE evil genius

altimate8484 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to altimate8484
Default how to: center console removal

Here is my tutorial on how to remove the center console. Yes someone is going to say there are "other", "better" ways to do it.. and that may be true, but this is how i did it. This is the start of my Short Throw Shifter Install and review. It was purchased off of eBay, but with AT not selling theirs anymore i wanted to give it a try so others could see the options available.

begin by removing the shifter knob. In the 5 speed the knob is just pressed onto a hex nut. twisting left and right while pulling upward should pop off.

Remove the HVAC cover by firmly grasping the sides and pulling straight back. Only held in by clips. The center cubby is removed in the same fashion, pulled straight back.

Once slightly free, push the Hazard button out by pushing from rear. This allows access to the white/black clip that is blocked by the cubby box and very difficult to get to otherwise. The 12v outlet is also disconnected here, it is simply pulled off (blade connectors no clips)

Next remove the cup holder. Lift the armrest and remove the center screw located under the rubber cup insert. This too is only held in by clips so pull directly up on the front and back and lift over the ebrake handle.

remove this kick panel on the passenger side (more clips) and then you can begin removing the actual screws that hold in the console.

There are six screws that hold the console in place.

two here

one on each side in front of the shifter...

and two behind the seats

Once the screws are removed there are only these tabs holding the console from removal. There is once on each side right below the HVAControls. I found that if you squeezed the console together >[ ]< inward they could be bypassed.

after that the console is ready to be removed. make sure car is off and put shifter into reverse (auto should shift into lowest gear and turn off car) space is needed to pull the console backward and tilt upward to remove. This is the angle i had the console

then pulled it up toward the headliner to remove.
02 Altima 2.5S| Fujita CAI | Megan Dual Exhuast | Depo CF Tails | Depo black housing headlights| Custom Mesh Upper Gille | AT Lower Grille | JDM stlye Fog Kit | Carbon Fiber Hood | Hood Struts | NISMO 5 spoke rays 18" (summer) | G35 7 spoke 18" (winter) | Hayame Carbon Fiber Pedals | Custom Shifter and Matching E-Brake boots | 2 15" Audiobahn subs w/ 1200 watts | Custom painted Fiberglass box | Cardomain |
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:26 PM
IEEE evil genius

altimate8484 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to altimate8484

this is what i am left with.
02 Altima 2.5S| Fujita CAI | Megan Dual Exhuast | Depo CF Tails | Depo black housing headlights| Custom Mesh Upper Gille | AT Lower Grille | JDM stlye Fog Kit | Carbon Fiber Hood | Hood Struts | NISMO 5 spoke rays 18" (summer) | G35 7 spoke 18" (winter) | Hayame Carbon Fiber Pedals | Custom Shifter and Matching E-Brake boots | 2 15" Audiobahn subs w/ 1200 watts | Custom painted Fiberglass box | Cardomain |
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!