Go Back   SUPERNISSANS.NET Nissan Owners Community > TECHNICAL/RACING FORUM > Auto Detailing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
...for great justice!!

Kmikl will become famous soon enough
Default Paint clean up Q's

My Altima SE-R has finished it's first winter, and it's really REALLY looking worse for wear. I'm actually contemplating painting it with some decent paint since Nissan decided we didn't need any.

I've got about 40-50 minor stone chips and 5-6 major chips and dents on the hood, because we use crushed stone and road salt during the winter. To add to that, the previous owner had tried to paint over a few fairly deep scratches with the cheesy touch-up paint, and painted over the good paint as well. There is also a few rough patches (literally like very fine grit sandpaper) on the bumper. To top it off, I had a broken piece of the drivers' side-skirt that ripped off, so I'm going to have to replace the entire thing.

Before I go and dump $3500 into a paint job that I may not need, I want to try and clean up the paint chips and the scratches/rough spots myself. I figure I'll need the factory colour-matched paint and something like Langka to take down the paint glob when I'm done.

I'm wondering if anyone has used stuff like this, and after that what I should do, and more or less what order I should do it in. I have access to random-orbital buffer, but not the rotary ones (not unless I can borrow one from my folks for the afternoon at any rate), and if worse comes to worst, once I've got the paint chips fixed, if they're looking crappy, I'll get the hood and bumper painted once I get the side-skirt replaced.

BTW, I read the Ultimate FAQ ( excellent thread BTW~!! Thanks so much for that one), and I plan on doing this, but I haven't seen the Pink Moose/303 products anywhere around here, so I'm wondering if they're special order. I'll check for a Canadian Distributor, if I find one, I'll post in that thread, if not, would Meguire's or something similar do in a pinch?

Please help with disaster recovery efforts around the world,
American Red Cross - Canadian Red Cross
Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders)
UNICEF - CARE - OXFAM
Thanks guys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 AM
doesnt own a super nissan

Paul is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Paul

best bet on the touch up painted spots is to wet sand it off since it's been on there for quite sometime and will probably be unremovable with chemicals.

my hood is pretty much two tone right now - red and white from chips. but like you said, you guys use stone, we use salt and sand. some cars aren't meant for certain elements, and nissans aren't meant for winter.

look for a guy in your area that does sprayless paint repair. there's a guy around here that does it. pretty much, he'll wet sand your car, touch up all chips, buff your car to get rid of the sand marks / blend in touch up paint. I think he charges us like $100 a car and they look brand new after. might be cheaper cus we give him so many cars to do, but still, if it's under $500, and it'll make it look brand new, it's worth it.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 PM
...for great justice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
best bet on the touch up painted spots is to wet sand it off since it's been on there for quite sometime and will probably be unremovable with chemicals.

my hood is pretty much two tone right now - red and white from chips. but like you said, you guys use stone, we use salt and sand. some cars aren't meant for certain elements, and nissans aren't meant for winter.

look for a guy in your area that does sprayless paint repair. there's a guy around here that does it. pretty much, he'll wet sand your car, touch up all chips, buff your car to get rid of the sand marks / blend in touch up paint. I think he charges us like $100 a car and they look brand new after. might be cheaper cus we give him so many cars to do, but still, if it's under $500, and it'll make it look brand new, it's worth it.
That was what I was figuring I'd have to do with the existing repairs, and while I'm at it I'll get the dents massaged out as well. Hell, $500 would be worth it as well too. Thanks Paul.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM
doesnt own a super nissan

Paul is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Paul

also, I believe you said your car was black, or I've seen a picture of it.. anyway, I was in Advanced Auto yesterday and noticed that Meguires or Mothers (i think) makes a kit for black cars. it's like $20. comes with a wash, a body shine, a wax, and something else. might wanna look into that to see if you can make it livable yourself.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:40 PM

crug75hid is on a distinguished road

sanding is required to remove the old paint, dents to be removed and repaint it spray guns.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM

hattrick3518 is on a distinguished road
Garage

i think paul's idea is best here, that should make you happy for a while longer. and then maybe once that is done use the 'black detail kit' on it, no?

------------------------------------------------------
Old 11-26-2009, 01:04 PM
...for great justice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
also, I believe you said your car was black, or I've seen a picture of it.. anyway, I was in Advanced Auto yesterday and noticed that Meguires or Mothers (i think) makes a kit for black cars. it's like $20. comes with a wash, a body shine, a wax, and something else. might wanna look into that to see if you can make it livable yourself.
My car is black, but it's got the 2-tone thing going on the hood as well.

I haven't seen the Meguires' kit, but when it comes time I may end up looking for it. I'm actually going to just get the car painted in the spring I think. There are couple spots where a larger stone broke through the paint and hit metal and it's starting to superficially rust, plus my mirrors didn't get painted (or they were replaced) so it's probably just better to pony up the cash.

I've also got to do the headlight fixtures (getting hella-pitted) and get the driver's side skirt fixed/replaced.

The city wants to switch to sand to be environmentally safer, can't effin' wait.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Trying to be a Member

braim is on a distinguished road

sanding is the good for this.