Thread: Housing
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 12:00 PM

dsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura aboutdsuave624 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZAMAN View Post

Suave - your home is older, and I think I remember you having to replace your HVAC a while back? How is the house otherwise for aging/maintenance? Seasonal cycles must be a bitch on it.
It's a little bit of a challenge. You def notice variations as to how the house operates in the different seasons. Especially on hard surfaces like driveways/paths. I had a small crack in the front outside stairs last year and it opened up into a hole because of water freezing and thawing.

According the the permits in the town, the house went through a major reno in 1991 where they vaulted the ceilings in the kitchen/DR, redid the kitchen and both full baths. But they need to be redone! My kitchen cabinets are literally falling off the hinges just from wear and tear. The spa tub doesn't work. And it's just out of date. Definitely looks Miami vice style in my house. Lol. I have all new appliances but I need cabinets for sure.

I've done a shit ton of reno's in the 8 years I've been there:
Furnace/AC 2016 (contractor)
Driveway 2016 (contractor)
All 22 windows 2015 (BIG difference in comfort. went from single pane wood to high efficiency double pane vinyl) (contractor)
Added recessed lighitng in the BR'sand basement 2011-2013 (self)
Gutted and renovated the entire basement which inlcudes 1/2 bath and laundry. 2012 (self) My biggest job to date. Took me 8 months.
Backyard 2010 (paver patio, composite deck) (contractor)
Plus i've personally done other misc upgrades like replacing all the outlets, switches, etc. Numerous paint jobs, Added insulation in attic and crawlspace for improved comfort (again this made a big difference with comfort)

We're planning to do an addition and extension in 2021. Want to add a master suite and family room off the kitchen/DR area. So that's probably when the kitchen will get redone.

I plan to do the bathrooms myself. I hope to do one at the end of this year and the other in 2020.

I'm also thinking resale value. We bought one of the worst houses in our neighborhood and the houses around me easily sell for $700-$800k. My plan was to renovate while I live there. But kinda sucks being the 'poor' family on the street though. Lol.