View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM
2-Time BCS National Champ

LSUtigerME has a spectacular aura aboutLSUtigerME has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuave624 View Post
Every single sport's conference/division champ advances to the playoffs except CFB. I love the autobids in the NCAA as it puts a strong emphasis on winning your conference. You can have a .500 sweep the conference and that makes for a great story. And, like the tournament, it won't take away from SOS because if you lose your conference game, you can still make the playoffs with quality wins.
No, in many sports it’s an auto bid from your conference TOURNAMENT. The conference champ does not get an auto-bid. In NCAA basketball, I despise the fact that a quality bubble team gets pushed out simply because some shitshow won a shitty conference because the powerhouse team rested its starters. I’m simply proposing that they be in the top RPI 200, or in football T25. Similarly, I’d also say any G5 conference champ ranked in T15 should get an Auto-bid.

Quote:
I mean, what's the point of competing in a conference then? Notre Dame theoretically, can have an easy path the CFP if they scheudule easier opponents.
There’s been a ton of talks of conference realignment. There is not a current benefit to being in a conference, except the scheduling advantage. ND actually did a good job scheduling opponents. For example in years past, Baylor scheduling nothing but rudy-poo teams. And one lost cost them (and TCU and the B12) in the end.
Quote:
They are "quality" wins because both teams are grossly overranked. IMO, MSU and LSU are no better than Iowa.
Both are T25 teams. MSU with Fitzgerald at QB, and LSU at the end of the season.

Quote:
And OSU lost to the #2 ranked playoff team. No, the loses do not trump the signature wins. Alamba played only 8 P5 opponents this year while OSU played 10. OSU had 2 top 10 victories and Alabama had none. OSU won the conference and Alabama got smoked by Auburn. if anything Auburn should be there over Alabama.
Losses always tend to come first (amongst P5 teams), with signature wins used as tie breakers.

Alabama played 9 P5 opponents. OSU played one more P5, but also lost one more. They won the conference, and that should count for something. But, under the current committee guidance, it is not required. The whole industry swings back and forth on the value of it. LSU received the benefit of it in 2007, while Georgia and VT suffered. Auburn was left out after an undefeated season. OkSt left out in 2011.

Quote:
ESPN has tried to monopolize the industy and now they are too saturated. They will be definitely continue downsizing and I expect fox and/or cbs to pick up the more coverage.
Agreed. But ESPN is not going anywhere.

Quote:
There's plenty of outcry. But they did not have any top 15 wins, just like alabama The have a NY6 bowl, which is still great. while the AAC is not considred a P5, thoose schools play at a P5 level.
There’s no legitimate outcry for them to be in CFP. They are not one of the 4 best. They deserve a shot, but with only 4 teams, you have to be able to evaluate the teams without them having played each other.

Quote:
Alabama had weakest schedule of any of the top 8 teams. They fucking played mercer as a warm-up to play Auburn and still got rocked. YET, they are still in. But everyone and especially ESPN (who has a nice financial interest in the conference) loves to circlejerk the SEC as the greatest conference known to mankind. So since Alabama only has 1 loss in the SEC, they must still be an elite team.
You’re so stuck on this Mercer game. The SEC sets the schedule dates. They also schedule FSU for the FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON. Hindsight shows FSU w/o their QB was not that good, but I’m not gonna knock their schedule and mercer. They have the full SEC schedule + FSU.

I have an issue with this “when you lose” philosophy. Lose early, and you’re allowed to recover and recoup and be a “different team”. Dominate, and lose to a T5 ranked rival late in the season, and all of a sudden you don’t deserve any recognition.

I despise Alabama. I hate that they are given the opportunity to get in. However, I think they deserve it. I just hope they reform the CFP process.